• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1bbl solex question

I just drove my new 02 from california to Idaho and had a great trip; 600 miles, 29 mpg, and not a single problem. Before I made the trip I did some maitenance, including; new water pump, valves adjusted, oil, fuel filter, and a couple other odds and ends. Tonight I started her up in about 40 degree temp, she fired right up and ran good. I let it warm up, turned off the manual choke and it idled perfectly. About 2 miles into my trip it died going around a corner (i let out the clutch and it fired right up of course.) At the next stop light it died and would not idle. I got it home by giving it a little gas when stopped. Once I parked at my house i thought i would see what the choke would do, so I pulled it out a little bit and my RPM jumped to 2000. (I dont know if that is normal when cold) Im assuming this is a carburetor issue, but maybe im wrong. If somebody could help trouble shoot this for me that would be great, this car is going to be my DD and I need it to idle smoothly. Oh by the way its a 71.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

......and does the carb have an electric Fuel Shut Off Solenoid ( #15 )

at the base ? power should be present while running ?

got test light ? always check ALL fuses, wiring and connections

to solenoid

BMW02SOLEX3840singlethroatBMWcarb.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

with trash in the gas tank--and no fuel filter. It took a year for me to work all the crap out of the fuel system--I got so that I could pull the idle jet, blow thru it and reinstall during a long red light! Note the hole in one leg of your factory air filter housing. That's so you can insert a screwdriver to remove the idle jet.

I'll bet the idle jet's your problem...if your car doesn't have a fuel filter, install one upstream of the fuel pump, then thoroughly clean the filter screen and innards of your (early, removeable top, mechanical) fuel pump, pull the top off the carb and clean out the float chamber (or even better, remove and thoroughly clean the whole carb). That should solve your problem.

cheers

mike

PS--engaging the choke does increase your idle speed--with the choke all the way out, the car should idle at about 1600-2000 rpm, depending on how the fast idle linkage is adjusted.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

and just to help you make an accurate diagnosis, u know it's the idle jet being clogged when the car will run when you are giving it some gas, but not when your foot is off the pedal and the choke is off. Usually when you pull the idle jet, you find a small black piece of crap blocking the tip. Blow it off - don't stick any wire in the hole.

Bill in MT

1969 and 1970 2002s

1988 735i

Tonight I started her up in about 40 degree temp

Oh, jeeze, guys, try this first:

next time it does it, pull off to the side of the road, switch off and wait

2 minutes. Then restart.

I bet it'll fix itself... has everyone forgotten that carbs do ice up?

Around here, it's pretty common on cars that are missing the heat

stove and the hot air pickup on the front panel.

Pretty sure it's not vapor lock, though ;)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

doubt it is icing - he said he got it home by giving it a little gas all the way - classic sign of plugged idle valve. And in 39 years of driving a 2002, I've had beaucoup plugged idle valves and 0 iced carbs. But let's hope he provides some feedback so we can see whose theory is born out by fact.

Bill in MT

1969 and 1970 2002s

1988 735i

I had the exact problem after getting off the freeway from a 60 mile high-rpm (4.10 gears) trip. It would only run at 2k rpm or more. I fiddled with the carb adjustments until I got it to idle again but it was rough. Afterward I got the carb "rebuilt" and cleaned by a carb shop and its worked great since with no issues. Yours is probably dirty as others said.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

well, crap, so I was wrong again...

glad you're back in business. Might I suggest a nice new fuel

filter- and I always put mine before the pump, since the junk in the

tank can plug the pump, too?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL