• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Conditioning on the 02

Christen

Forgive me if this has already been answered in the archives, I took a peek but couldn't really find a definitive answer.

With the '02 A/C, can I just shut the unit off and let the pulley free spin when I want that extra HP or 2? Or does the A/C on these cars still draw some power even when the unit is off?

I live in Southeastern NC, so I'm thinking that A/C is pretty much a must have with whatever '02 I find, especially if I go on long trips to events and races and what not.

1972 Inka Tii - Spunkie Pumpkin

My opinion is the AC on 2002's is pretty useless. I have two and both have it. I'm removing the AC under hood components on one of them because I feel it's a waste to carry the extra weight for no benefit.

Not sure about your power question when the unit is off. I initially just removed the belt to the compressor (before I removed the compressor) when I decided it was useless to have it.

Good luck,

Patman

Driving with the windows down in Tehachapi, CA

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Typical A/C compressors use a clutch which only engages when the A/C is turned on (and there is enough refrigerant in the system).

Unfortunately, the systems installed in the 2002 are recirculating - meaning they cool the air taken from inside the car and not the outside (like modern cars do).

I have rarely used the Behr system in my car. I love driving with the windows down and sunroof open.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

to answer yer question - NO power sucked from motor when

the AC switched "OFF" - all A/C clutches free-wheel when the compressor

is OFF - so no power loss. Any belt attached to any pulley's

on the front of the motor does add slightly to 'load' on the crank - even if

free-wheeling on idler pulley's

but the comment about added weight, vibrations from

added components, hoses, DO create some drag on the motor and

general health of the car .

any belt attached to the crank - even free-wheeling with idler

pulleys is drag of some degree on the crank

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I live in Florida so I understand your point about needing air for the car to be a practical daily driver in the summer. I took the approach of a more efficient compressor, (mine is from a late model Mercedes) and had a real good quality window tint so I'm not baked on the window side and chilled on other from the A/C vents. I drive my 02 all year and spent most of one summer in Miami without much of a problem. I've had 02's with Behr and Frigking and there is not a lot of difference. Obviously it's more comfortable with only one in the car so you can hog all the vents. My suggestion is to be cool, enjoy your car and don't worry about the power loss.

Dave in Tallahassee

74 2002 w/sunroof & A/C - daily driver

71 2002 M20/260 - in paint shop

75 2002 parts car

74 VW Westfailia

69 VW Type 2 Weekender

2012 Jetta Sportswagon TDI

AC in Huntsville AL is mandatory if you are going to drive the car year round, prior to Huntsville, it was Ft.Rucker Al, Ft.Bliss ,Texas, Ft. Leavenworth KS etc. While the Behr/Frigiking systems are described as marginal at best. I can honestly say the Clardy system I installed in my 02 in 1987 works a treat. Utilized a Sanden swash plate/wobble plate compressor(mistakenly referred as a rotary by many) that eliminates vibrations inherent to the common York piston type common with the other systems.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I'm convinced that the way to really get A/C in a 2002 is this kit:

http://www.southernrods.com/categories/heating-and-cooling/heating-and-cooling-systems/products/product-2068.html

I live in SC and am planning on installing this kit this spring so I'm ready for the summer heat. I've measured it out and the condensor unit should fit nicely up under the dash between the steering column and the glovebox. (Need to remove/modify the center console though).

But for <$700 you get a brand new and modern heat/cool condenser unit, evaporator, drier, hoses, and a high efficiency Sanden compressor! Seems like a super deal to me, and that's what I'm going with, but that's just my 2 cents.

-Carl

I've had a Behr A/C system in my ' 75 ' 02 the whole 28 yrs. I've been driving it daily in Southern Arizona and I would not be without it. My previous car, that I had when I moved down here from Western Oregon, was a ' 59 356A Porsche Cabriolet w/ factory removable hardtop, but, alas, no A/C. Having just moved from a reasonable climate I about died the first couple of years. The Porsche was Ruby Red w/ black leather interior which didn't help. But the Behr system, w/ a Sanden compressor, makes summer drives across the desert in 105º-110º temps completely bearable. My wife's ' 76 has a Clardy system, also w/ a Sanden compressor, and is comparable in the heat. Heck, a week ago we were still in the 90s down here, so A/C, at least for me. is manditory. In the past I used to switch off the A/C when I needed a little extra passing or hill-climbing power, but with my new Eric Kerman engine, I seldom find I have to do that.

Bob Napier

This is just my 02 cents worth...If you want a "modern" AC, get a later model BMW. Sorry to be so to the point. When I was about 18, I had a 72 with no air, and a sunroof. My dad had a 72 with air. In my humble opinion, with the air on in his car, it became a diesel. Ruined the things that I loved about the car. But the wind in your hair with the sunroof open....Ah wonderful, simple, pleasure. When you are moving. Stoplights sucked. Traffic sucked. But once you were moving...Nirvanna! So...I dont know how old you are, or if this is going to be your daily driver. I'm now 53, and finally back into the 02 fold after a long absence. But my daily driver is a 95 Volvo turbo wagon. I still dont run the air unless I have a meeting that requires that I dont look like a drowned rat. My wife usually runs her air in the 325 all of the time. I dont need it, I dont like it, and its not only wasteful (to me), but steals some of the fun of our beloved 02's. Not so much with modern cars that have more horsepower than necessary, but to me the 02 is a delicately balanced car that wasn't meant to have AC unless it has been infused with a larger squirrel up front. To me, that becomes something other than a 2002. I'm sure that others will not agree. Nothing against a larger squirrel, however. "Her" 325 is a rocket ship, relatively speaking; and fun with or without the air on, as is my old 74 3.0cs, but thats not what a 2002 is to me. I'm not in Wilmington, but I am in NC. When you do the dirty 02 deed, be sure and upgrade the radiator, as you will absolutely need that in the Cape Fear Basin, AC or not. Look forward to meeting you with the 02 Group. Dave V. in western NC

The FrigiKing A/C in my '76 does a decent job of providing cool air but at engine power expense, so I just use it when it's really hot and mostly on long highway drives. Obviously, it works best at higher constant rpm and not so great stopped. Although it has a modest output, when you need it, you need it!! Don't sweat the small drag of the extra weight up front or the free-wheeling compressor. Keep the air and make some engine improvements like desmogging, Weber carb, blue coil, etc. One complication is that Freon 12 has been banned by the Feds back in the 1990s, but instead of altering the system for the latest refrigerant (which cuts cooling efficiency), get some Freeze 12 which is a replacement for Freon 12 for the older systems.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

Yea here in Orlando I would love the AC thing, but I don't think I could install it for less than a couple of grand. I can think of a lot more stuff it needs more. Plus I drive a nice 2001 Honda CRV (paid for, 27 mpg, ice cold air, and its waterproof). I think I agree with the others who say AC is for new cars. But then again if it had AC I would most likely use it as a daily driver.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

I had air conditioning installed in my 1970 2002 two years ago. It was from a 3 series car and I have a clardy style console. While it shoots out cold air, I must say it is not entirely cool in the car due to the terrarium effect of all the windows. (I have black vinyl seats and they roast). Like many have said before, the a/c is cool where you point it, but the rest of the car still stays warm.

It also is a major drag on my engine when turned on. (my engine is original, 77k miles on the odometer, but it is at least 177k, maybe 277k).

The combination of the engine drag and the lack of overall cooling has led me to not use the car very much with the a/c. I might try tinting the windows this summer to see how that helps.

1970 BMW 2002 E10

Project Blog for 2002 work

http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/patmryan/

I'm convinced that the way to really get A/C in a 2002 is this kit:

http://www.southernrods.com/categories/heating-and-cooling/heating-and-cooling-systems/products/product-2068.html

I live in SC and am planning on installing this kit this spring so I'm ready for the summer heat. I've measured it out and the condensor unit should fit nicely up under the dash between the steering column and the glovebox. (Need to remove/modify the center console though).

But for <$700 you get a brand new and modern heat/cool condenser unit, evaporator, drier, hoses, and a high efficiency Sanden compressor! Seems like a super deal to me, and that's what I'm going with, but that's just my 2 cents.

-Carl

I installed basically the same on my car, but I kept the Frigiking evaporator, which was my error. The system cooled very well in our tropical weather, but the condenser had a small leak and it lost the gas. I have plans to fix it (when the budget permits) by installing a modern evaporator and either modify a stock console or build a new one. There are a few available designed for the hot rod crowd which are quite compact:

http://www.hotrodair.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=34/category_id=9/home_id=2/mode=prod/prd34.htm

http://www.vintageair.com/08/catalog08/08%20VA%20cat%20pg%2021%20f.pdf

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290