• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ways to brighten rear lights?

Grover

Updating an old but still very relevant post.

I have been updating and restoring lights front and rear for almost four decades, and will continue as long as I can.  Starting with my 72 2002, then some E28s, and now just about anything that is still being driven and loved.

Many of the above suggestions are spot on - cleaning the lenses, new LED or High Output lamps from Daniel Stern (that's where I started), and re-coating the reflector dish with silver or white paint (I've done both), or with silver 'tape' - super shiny self adhesive mylar or aluminum.  All good ideas.  I am now doing this with 3.0CSi coupe lights; after painting I have high hopes for the silver tape.

Sadly, Candlepower is closing their doors, so the 3496 and 3497 high output lamps from Stanley and others are now getting very expensive - likely the only source will be Honda Dealers.  Or me... since I just bought most of their remaining inventory.

LED lamps are getting better, but finding the good ones is exceedingly difficult with 37.2 gazillion different models and sources (mostly from China) selling whatever they have with fantastic claims of brilliance, long life, pure color, etc. etc.  Buyer beware.  I have a set I am trying in a 2000CS, and the NK lineup... will post results.

About every good light we can use has been discontinued: Hella no longer sells the 'Super' 7 inch H4 headlight, the 'BiFocal' 5-3/4 inch H1 low beam (no 2002 uses), the 5238 LED center brake light, and the Valeo/Cibie CSR H1 low and high headlights are also gone for years now.  I assume they don't think selling 30 units per year for a 50 year old application is worth their time ...  but nobody asked me.

I am still looking for members with cars they love, but that have lost their brilliance in back or front, to help bring the lights back up to "Better Than New" status, and help you keep the idiots off your tail.  Let's show the rest of the world that the joy of driving  -- (Freude am Fahren) is nothing new.

Be safe out there!

Andy

• Like 3

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

13 minutes ago, MoBrighta said:

Updating an old but still very relevant post.

I have been updating and restoring lights front and rear for almost four decades, and will continue as long as I can.  Starting with my 72 2002, then some E28s, and now just about anything that is still being driven and loved.

Many of the above suggestions are spot on - cleaning the lenses, new LED or High Output lamps from Daniel Stern (that's where I started), and re-coating the reflector dish with silver or white paint (I've done both), or with silver 'tape' - super shiny self adhesive mylar or aluminum.  All good ideas.  I am now doing this with 3.0CSi coupe lights; after painting I have high hopes for the silver tape.

Sadly, Candlepower is closing their doors, so the 3496 and 3497 high output lamps from Stanley and others are now getting very expensive - likely the only source will be Honda Dealers.  Or me... since I just bought most of their remaining inventory.

LED lamps are getting better, but finding the good ones is exceedingly difficult with 37.2 gazillion different models and sources (mostly from China) selling whatever they have with fantastic claims of brilliance, long life, pure color, etc. etc.  Buyer beware.  I have a set I am trying in a 2000CS, and the NK lineup... will post results.

About every good light we can use has been discontinued: Hella no longer sells the 'Super' 7 inch H4 headlight, the 'BiFocal' 5-3/4 inch H1 low beam (no 2002 uses), the 5238 LED center brake light, and the Valeo/Cibie CSR H1 low and high headlights are also gone for years now.  I assume they don't think selling 30 units per year for a 50 year old application is worth their time ...  but nobody asked me.

I am still looking for members with cars they love, but that have lost their brilliance in back or front, to help bring the lights back up to "Better Than New" status, and help you keep the idiots off your tail.  Let's show the rest of the world that the joy of driving  -- (Freude am Fahren) is nothing new.

Be safe out there!

Andy

I recommend the rear lamp upgrades from Andy.  Both of my Roundies have them along with URO reproduction lenses (and a Hella 3rd brake light).  Well worth the cost!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, jgerock said:

I recommend the rear lamp upgrades from Andy.  Both of my Roundies have them along with URO reproduction lenses (and a Hella 3rd brake light).  Well worth the cost!

Thanks, Jim. 

Related to your post, I found some "new BMW 2002 lenses" on the web, so I asked the seller about the source... URO. 

> > Update- they have both -- red or amber turn signals, the amber turns cost more, of course. < <

> > Anyone have a ballpark cost for a pair of URO replacement round lenses?? < <

So Jim - how do they fit?  I've heard they are close, but don't line up properly in all sectors... and others say the color is off a bit from their old stock lenses (which doesn't surprise me, after 40 years in the sun).

Matching reproduction lenses won't be mismatched, but what is your opinion of their color?  I ask because I have successfully tinted some sun-bleached lenses, bringing them back to a nice deep red color.  With bright bulbs and restored silvering, they look fine.

Edited by MoBrighta
add more info

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

14 hours ago, MoBrighta said:

Thanks, Jim. 

Related to your post, I found some "new BMW 2002 lenses" on the web, so I asked the seller about the source... URO. 

> > Update- they have both -- red or amber turn signals, the amber turns cost more, of course. < <

> > Anyone have a ballpark cost for a pair of URO replacement round lenses?? < <

So Jim - how do they fit?  I've heard they are close, but don't line up properly in all sectors... and others say the color is off a bit from their old stock lenses (which doesn't surprise me, after 40 years in the sun).

Matching reproduction lenses won't be mismatched, but what is your opinion of their color?  I ask because I have successfully tinted some sun-bleached lenses, bringing them back to a nice deep red color.  With bright bulbs and restored silvering, they look fine.

I have a set of both the red and amber center lenses from URO.  IMO, they are beautiful. They fit like the originals.  There are slight differences in the dimpled surfaces on the back of the lenses, but unless you have them side by side, it’s very hard to tell.

Look at my pictures of the amber center ones for my 73tii. Can you tell the difference??  

D03012C5-6156-4293-AEFA-FF122013BD29.jpeg

51626263-8B10-4A7A-9F15-B9FF0ED604DC.jpeg

1AD2AF84-775D-4DFC-85D4-E971448DA017.jpeg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The UROs and LEDs in all the rear fixtures will solve your problem. You will actually be able to back up at night with more confidence

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

If you look at the rear of 02 Princesses car it’s very bright, I think blunt sells the led kits that are mounted to the boards, easy fit, I have them in a set of square tail light body lights I need to install, I did the clean, paint new lamps thing, it’s very effective, but nowhere near the LEDS...

As has been said,  readily available 1156 LED bulbs are substantially brighter than any incandescent bulb. A bonus is that the LED bulbs put off a specific color of light, which can help the appearance of faded 02 taillight lenses.

Issues to consider: design of the LED bulb; some put off a substantial part of the light to the rear (top) of the bulb. Other designs have more light output to the sides. Obviously, this changes the way the taillight appears from the rear. The 02 taillight base clearly is designed to help focus the light to the rear and make the light "chamber" look more filled out, so having clean/refurbished taillight backs is important.

Yet another issue is that the reduced current draw of the typical LED bulb may cause your turn signal circuit to quick flash, as if there is a blown bulb (just like it is supposed to). You can change your flasher to an LED tolerant flasher unit, or put a resistor in the circut to trick the factory circuit into believing that the LED bulb is an incandescent.

Finally, many of these LED bulbs come from places where the dimensions of the bulb are not considered very carefully. For example, I have received bulbs where the base would not fit into the socket of 02 taillight backing plate. The most common problem is that the base of the bulb is too short to fit into the 02 socket, so the bulb will not mount because the bulb body hits the top of the socket preventing it from being pushed into the socket far enough to mount.. On the other end of the spectrum, some bulbs are so long the top of the buld hits the lens. Most sellers will provide dimensions so you can avoid this.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga