• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ways to brighten rear lights?

Grover

With the recent time change, I'm finding myself driving at night far more. Today, I was driving behind another '02 and it became apparent how weak the rear running lights are. What are some ways of brightening them up for better visibility? I've seen the lining of the inner reflector piece with something like foil or Mylar, but I'm curious what else can be done. Brighter bulbs? Ways of cleaning the lens to make them clearer? Other options? And yes, I already have a third brake light.

I used an aluminium foil tape and really cleaned the lens. It was amazing the difference. Brighter bulbs are generally not a good way to go, too hot. The left one has correct new bulbs, alum tape and a gooood cleaning. Don

Rearlightrejuvenation_0002.jpg

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

this is what Daniel Stern says, "Can also make your 2002's existing brake and turn signal lights 40% brighter with higher-efficiency bulbs, $7.10/ea. These are not the halogen lens-melter specials often seen on parts store shelves."

See DanielSternLighting.com and call him at 416-766-2327.

Just passing on information, but I have not seen these bulbs in action.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

I swear by top-quality LED lights - they are extremely brighter, and offer truer color, cooler temps, less power req'd, and last almost forever. I've replaced almost every incandescent bulb on my 02 with LEDs. Nice thing is that besides the brighter truer color light, they're a discrete yet easy modern upgrade.

Another reason for the purists to cringe too. ;-)

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Guest Anonymous

I cleaned up my round tail lites last Winter by re-spraying the insides with chrome paint and cleaned and polished the lenses with plastic cleaner.The results were a dramatic improvement in visibility. (I also replaced all the bulbs, but after reading the above post, I may also try LED's) Before buying new lenses, try cleaning and polishing them. Good luck

Roger

'72 Malaga

I just put in the lights from Daniel Stern this weekend (number 3497 ), and they are definatly brighter. They are for brake light and turn signal. I also added the Hella 3rd brake light (model 38). I feel alot "brighter".

1972 2002 Sahara
2017 228i

2019 F 250

nesky45, are those Daniel Stern #3497 LEDs? how did those Model 38's work out, is the kit complete, problems? I just put in my order and looking for a fellow user. TIA!

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

I have led bulbs in for brake, turn, and reverse lights.

I removed the running light deflector on the top of the squarie lens and switched the running light wires with the brake lights.

Now the bottom lights are always on and when the brake is pressed its very bright because it shines with no deflector.

I notice people don't come so close now.

I also have a 3rd brake light mounted at the top of the window.

reartuck-1.jpg

The brake lights and turn signal lights are not LED. The 3rd brake light is LED, and comes complete. It was so easy, even I could install. I installed it on the lower back window, but you could probably do it on the top. My car is a roundie, so I was concerned about LED's damaging the plastic lenses.

CD's upload of the brake light wiring helped me alot.

Tron, people are probably seeing stars after your lights come on. Good work, keeps people back.

1972 2002 Sahara
2017 228i

2019 F 250

Guest Anonymous

Hi Scott, It's good to connect another face with a user name. Getting my '02 Winter projects lined up. Send me your e-mail so I can invite you over to the Patroon Chapter Concours next June. We had five '02's last year and would like to double that next year. I've already got Jan of Medford MA in the loop.

RBenson685@aol.com

Grover,

San Francisco traffic and the end of daylight savings time last year prompted me to explore lighting also. I got bulbs from Candlepower Inc at http://store.candlepower.com/. Some of the bulbs have increased wattage than stock, but I haven't had any problems with melted lenses on my 72:

Brake, rear turn signal and reverse lights

3497 Stanley

12V 27W

BA15s

Single filament

Tail light

12V 10W

BA15s

Single filament

Turn signal, front

3497 Stanley

12V 27W

BA15s

Single filament (Euro turn signal lenses). If you have a dual filament 1157 on a US-spec lens, you might try P3496, a 21/5W.

Parking light, front

17097 Narva

12V 3W

W2.1x9.5d

Single filament, for 90 degree socket I rigged on my Euro lenses

After running the above bulbs for awhile, I went ahead and tackled the refurbishment of the reflectors with krylon chrome paint, which helped.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,303904/

Silver tape may accomplish the same thing as the paint.

William

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken