• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof seals

JAS

Hi all - I am installing new seals (felts) on my 1974 tii's sunroof (parts 5 & 9 in the schematic) - does the back felt (part 9) attach to the roof body or the sliding panel? I'm guessing the answer is the body but the old one is missing and there is no clear indication where it was previously.

Also, I assume I will need to pull out the sunroof and/or the headliner to get at the seal (part 8)?

Thanks to all that answered my question (a few months ago) about tracking down a short in the brake light/wiper motor circuit - turned out to be a burned out wiper motor. To allow it to "park" the wipers after the wiper was been turned off the motor has a hot lead - mine appears to have shorted out in the middle of the park cycle. Replaced the motor and everything is right with the world again!

John

post-14450-13667595950903_thumb.jpg

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

does the back felt (part 9) attach to the roof body or the sliding panel? The rear grey seal is glued to the panel itself; the front and sides (one piece) is glued to the body.

Also, I assume I will need to pull out the sunroof and/or the headliner to get at the seal (part 8)? Yep, and you'll have to remove the panel (but not the headliner) to replace the rear seal (part 9) anyway.

Lotsa archive material on the subject or drop me an e-mail--I did a Roundel column on this several years ago.

cheers

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've found SuperGlue GEL (thicker than the regular superglue) works GREAT. I adhered the seal about 3" at a time, held it til it set up - then moved to the next 3" section.

FWIW: BMW sold it's own sunroof seal adhesive - and guess what? It was Superglue!!! (no kidding!)

Open the sunroof an inch or two....unhook the upholstered interior panel from the metal sunroof at the front edge (spring clips) - slide it back, while the steel panel stays stationary - then you can access the fasteners that hold the steel roof panel on, after you close it completely. DON'T try to pull the white panel into the car - you'll trash it severely!

Free your mind of all time restrictions, and focus completely on the task at hand. If you rush it - you might make a big/messy/expensive mistake. I used masking tape on the neighboring paintwork to protect it while applying the glue.

OH!....And ONE MORE tip: use a spray bottle with water in it on the painted surface of the sunroof, then apply a layer of saran wrap on it before opening it after you've installed it while you dial in the adjustment. This will buy you a little paint protection in case you're off by a micromillimeter.

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Great tips Paul - thanks - I know some dislike the sunroofs because of the rust issues they create with the drains but there's nothing like a ride on a sunny fall day (like today) with the roof open...

John

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

Hey Paul, do you know where I can get good info like this but for my E30? It happens that my headliner is all saggy and I need to attach it (Where can I get the Superglue in gel form?).

Also, I get water inside when it rains. Can these be adjusted in some way? The back side of the sunroof (when viewed from the outside) does not align flush to the roof. The sunroof is short about a 1/4" to be completely flush to the roof.

Thanks in advance!

Victor
SOLD - 1974 Automatic Sienabraun Metallic

• 7 years later...

I was replacing my seal rather than installing a new one. It is scary that I am now re-doing jobs that I did 15 years ago when I restored the car because they have worn out from use and age. Originally I used Wurth Rubber Glue contact cement but I decided to try that new-fangled SuperGlue Gel this time.

I cleaned off the old glue with alcohol, Goof Off, and then Prep-All but could not get all the way down to paint. There was still a line of dark adhesive residue. The Superglue Gel would not stick to this at all so I dug out my can of Wurth Rubber Glue and it worked just fine. I like that you can apply it to the entire surface and the seal and then just carefully stick the seal into place. It does yellow so you must be very careful not to get it on the visible areas. I did use the Superglue to seal the ends of the furry P channel.

Edited by gastephens

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

My rear seal "blew out" on The Vintage trip this year.  The front edge near the middle of the seal has opened up, exposing the white rubbery cord within the seal.  Will need to get together with you, Jim, for the R&R IF it is available!

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

On 10/11/2008 at 2:41 PM, Victor_PR said:

Hey Paul, do you know where I can get good info like this but for my E30? It happens that my headliner is all saggy and I need to attach it (Where can I get the Superglue in gel form?).

Also, I get water inside when it rains. Can these be adjusted in some way? The back side of the sunroof (when viewed from the outside) does not align flush to the roof. The sunroof is short about a 1/4" to be completely flush to the roof.

Thanks in advance!

Victor  Try blowing out the sunroof drains with compressed air both ways until they are clear. You shouldnt be getting water even if the panel isnt aligned well

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2008 at 2:19 PM, mike said:

does the back felt (part 9) attach to the roof body or the sliding panel? The rear grey seal is glued to the panel itself; the front and sides (one piece) is glued to the body.

Also, I assume I will need to pull out the sunroof and/or the headliner to get at the seal (part 8)? Yep, and you'll have to remove the panel (but not the headliner) to replace the rear seal (part 9) anyway.

Lotsa archive material on the subject or drop me an e-mail--I did a Roundel column on this several years ago.

cheers

mike

Mike you still have that email?