• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Downpipe hitting steering (idler arm)

jgerry2002

See the pic... I have maybe 1/2 of clearance here. The motor ends up hitting the exhaust under moderate-heavy acceleration.

Any thoughts as to what I might do about it?

My engine mounts are new and I am running that stop/spacer on the passenger side mount. IE is suggesting I add another spacer, but I am still not sure it would be enough clearance.

I even tried to lower the driver side mount a little. It helped a little, but is still not enough.

Is it possible that the idler arm is not quite adjusted to where it should be?

The whole exhaust consists of a 02 again header, and the rest is all IE. The factory downpipe fits without any issues. The rest of the IE exhaust fits perfectly after several rounds of adjustment (just moving things around a little).

post-69-13667594454579_thumb.jpg

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

It says on thier web site that it was copied from an automatic's downpipe to clear 5 speed transmissions. Maybe thats why it fits so tight?

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=670040309&Count2=587180733&CategoryID=1&Target=products.asp

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

The new one is modeled after the automatic downpipe, the old one is a standard downpipe which is a different shape.. but I will compare the clearances.

I'll see if maybe the shim will work, but I might have to slightly modify that lower piece (I hate to do that) like everyone is saying, and that will probably work. I don't need that much more to make it work.

I'll look at the tranny mounts, but its a 2002haus kit, so everything is brand new, along with everything else in the car.

-Justin
--

you don't want to get the guibo out of alignment or its life will be very short...it shouldn't flex at all as it rotates.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have the same set-up and same problem. When I removed the 02 Again manifold and used the IE downpipe and stock manifold clearance problems. When I used the 02 Again manifold and stock downpipe no clearance problems. Still trying to figure out a solution.

Interesting, so there is someone else out there who has the same combo with a '02 again header and IE Downpipe.

Now that I think about it, I am wondering if it has to do with the thickness of the flange. Both the '02 again header and the IE piece has a much thicker base on it.... maybe that would push the pipe down enough to touch the idler arm?

Or is the bend ever so slightly off in the '02again piece or the IE piece?

Not sure...

Especially now that I've seen that IE exhaust is built to very very exacting specs (less room for worn components like the stock stuff) I'd lean toward a slight issue with the 02 again piece... but I can't really prove that.

Either I "reshape" the IE downpipe or perhaps swap over to that IE shorty header (out very soon) at some point. I'd bet the IE shorty and the IE downpipe would have zero clearance issues...

-Justin
--

Would love to believe that the flange thickness is the problem, but that doesn't account for the clearance problems when the 02 Again manifold is swapped with the stock manifold and the IE downpipe. My unfounded belief is that since the IE downpipe is crafted after the automatic's downpipe the clearance problem arises there.

Justin,

I recall Michel telling me that the car had an issue with guibos coming apart often and needing to be replaced. Yale took the car to Beaconwood Motors, whom he had an agreement with where he did their ads for the Roundel and they did some work on the car.

Having replaced some guibos myself, it's pretty easy to line them up correctly, so this may not be an issue if you've worked on the trans/driveshaft already.

vince

Justin,

I recall Michel telling me that the car had an issue with guibos coming apart often and needing to be replaced. Yale took the car to Beaconwood Motors, whom he had an agreement with where he did their ads for the Roundel and they did some work on the car.

Having replaced some guibos myself, it's pretty easy to line them up correctly, so this may not be an issue if you've worked on the trans/driveshaft already.

vince

The car has a 320i 5-speed, 2002haus mounts, and a shortened driveshaft from Aardvarc. All new mounts everywhere else too. So far I have had no issues with driveline vibration and the car seems to be smooth (minus a slight wobble from one of the rear wheels at around 70ish) through 80+ mph.

I will take a look at the exhaust this weekend, but yes if I had all curvy roads I'd never have an issue. Unfortunately, NYC has a lot of straight roads :)

-Justin
--

Was this car Parked next to doug's at lime rock? If so, I remember seeing that first hand(you actaully pointed it out) If the dia. of the IE part and the stock OEM downpipe are the same, why don't you just use the stock part? No perfomance should be lost or gained, and it should bolt up the same. That would seem to me the easiest fix for the problem, unless you really want that SS part in there. Also, I just installed a new downpipe about 2 months ago and it was a really nice piece with a pretty thick flange. No issues as of yet. Got it from autohuaz and it was a (GASP!!) ANSA part! Go figure.

Larry