• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

radiator hose protection?

BLUNT

on my M2 one of my hoses is contacting my radiator and in time will cause a problem. ive googled radiator bandage and only get temporary bandage type fix solution for a blown hose. i know theres a product for this type of problem, i just dont know where to find it,.... anyone have a source for some type of adhesive wrap to protect my hose?

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

i dunno pat, i have that stuff on my harness and its fine for that but i was seeking something a little thicker to give more protection from chaffing. i can already see a spot on my hose where its been rubbing.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

i proposed this because i already saw it on another kind of newer car, cant remember...GM probably, or Ford, on the radiator hose like you said.

I tore down brand new cars everyday so i see sometimes nice things to use.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

As Nick has pointed out, sleeving it with a little larger ID hose is effective. You can cut the larger hoes and zip tie it onto the hose that is rubbing, making sure to have the covered section against the chaffed area. Another thought is to use a steel braided covered hose.

Garry

03' Mini Cooper S

73 2002tii A4 (sold )

67 Mini Coooper S (sold 3/06)

Take an old piece of radiator hose, slit it lengthwise and fasten it to the abrading hose with a couple of zip ties. I did that with A/C hoses and it's been working fine for years. Use black zip ties and they hardly show.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Two things I've seen on newer BMW upper radiator hoses...

The Nylon Braid like was already mentioned. But the stuff I've seen was on E46 M54 (2000+ 3-series w/ 6cyl) upper radiator hoses and the original stuff breaks down over time...

Then I've seen what appears to be Heat shrink tube on replacement hoses for the same application. I've seen heat shrink tube in large sizes like that but I don't remember where...

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

What is the diameter?

maybe 1 1/2"? cj is hooking me up. he knows where to get the cool stuff. its basically a gates product you slip over the hose and it shrinks down and looks clean and tidy.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

If it's the Gates heat shrink tubes I'm thinking of, they are used as hose "clamps". Basically, you use them instead of traditional hose clamps- cleaner look, no rusted or stuck screws, no mashed up hose underneath from overtightening, etc. They're pretty popular amongst the hot rod/street rod crowd and I believe they're availabe at most (all?) NAPA stores.

Dunno if they are strong/thick enough to last as a chaffing guard? They seem pretty thick, but softish...

Would it be possible to fashion a hose stand-off bracket? Something shaped to fit the hose that would put slight pressure it to keep it from contacting the offending part? Haven't seen your set-up so I don't know if that's even a possibility.

Zac

If it's the Gates heat shrink tubes I'm thinking of, they are used as hose "clamps". Basically, you use them instead of traditional hose clamps- cleaner look, no rusted or stuck screws, no mashed up hose underneath from overtightening, etc. They're pretty popular amongst the hot rod/street rod crowd and I believe they're availabe at most (all?) NAPA stores.

Dunno if they are strong/thick enough to last as a chaffing guard? They seem pretty thick, but softish...

Would it be possible to fashion a hose stand-off bracket? Something shaped to fit the hose that would put slight pressure it to keep it from contacting the offending part? Haven't seen your set-up so I don't know if that's even a possibility.

Zac

thats a good idea zac , however this is on an s14 car and the hose im trying to fix is already bent at an angle im just barely comfortable with. but yes, the gates units are the ones you mention. same thing. if this doesnt work i may reroute the hose over the top of the distributor. it just wouldnt look as clean

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com