• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess another one bites the dust...

Mars

..received a call today that the garage where I was temporarily storing my car burned down.

Thought they were joking until I arrived and saw it for myself. The whole thing is gone. Amongst the rubble was a 64 Impala, a 70's Cadillac and a 71 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442. In the back is my poor little 02 with the windows blown out.

Saddest part is that this was really a rare car. Every one says they have a 100% original car but this was the real deal. 48k original miles, 99% of its original parts (except for wear and tear items like tires, brakes, hoses and belts, etc. most of which I changed for the first time). Fully documented, all manuals, original keys and case, etc. etc.

I had just changed the original 41 year old shocks for the first time a few weeks ago. Every detail unique to the original cars was intact. The only true 'original' car I have seen with its own original parts.

Can't get in to see how bad it is yet. Insurance company for the buildin has to assess the damage. Not sure if it is salvageable.

RIP

1967 1600-2 1521040

Let's see what Hagerty says now. I took it out of my storage unit and stored it over at this garage so they could 'spruce' the paint up with a wet sand and buff for the upcoming Deutsche Classic show here in Pa. Hope they don't give me a hard time. It would suck if it is a total loss.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mars this is horrible news. Please keep us posted. Oh man your 1600 is a gem. I don't know what to say man. If there is anything that I can do please let me know.

Good Luck with everything

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

Guest Anonymous

Hi there Mars,

SORRY about your loss, that does suck..You bring up a good point I also wonder how Haggerty Insurance will handle this. They insure plenty of old things including my boat, and they sound pleasant on the phone. Let's see if they take care of business..

Please keep us posted on the outcome

Thanks

ira

as they had your car in their care, custody and control. However, if their insurance didn't cover long-term storage of vehicles then Hagerty would step-in, but you better review your Hagerty policy and the conditions and exclusions. If they thought your car was garaged at your house and not at the shop they might not like that, so check the policy carefully. A friend of mine who insures tow-trucks had one of his clients leave a truck at the Chevy dealer for some work, where it was then stolen. The thief (released from prison that day) had one hit and run, and then running from that scene lost control and hit a bus-bench with people sitting on it and killed three of them. The thief continued in the truck and had another crash into a power-pole, then the cops got him. The dealer's insurance was primary and responsible for the claims, not the insurance brokered through my friend. Here's a news story on this incident (Vernon is just south of Los Angeles) . . .

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local&id=3515260

Pedestrians Struck And Killed By Tow Truck

Friday, October 07, 2005 | 3:59 PM

VERNON -- A man who allegedly drove a stolen tow truck onto a Vernon sidewalk -- killing three people and injuring eight others -- had just been released from prison the day of the crash, police said today.

Raymond Bermudez, 29, was in police custody at a hospital for treatment of injuries he suffered in the crash that occurred about 5:20 p.m. yesterday, said Vernon police Lt. James Rodino.

Bermudez had been released from Salinas Valley State Prison yesterday after serving 12 months for a parole violation, Rodino said. He will be booked when his condition permits in connection with the deaths, Rodino said.

Killed were a man and woman, who are survived by their seven children ages 8-18; and a woman survived by a child of 13, Rodino said. The names of the dead were being withheld, pending notification of relatives.

The truck, allegedly stolen by the suspect from a repair facility in Huntington Park, was involved in a non-injury hit-and-run accident at 57th Street and Santa Fe Avenue, then continued to Vernon and Santa Fe avenues, about eight blocks away, where it hit the pedestrians at an MTA bus stop, Rodino said.

"When he passed Santa Fe, going west on Vernon, he veered to the right and drove onto the sidewalk, striking several pedestrians," Rodino said.

The man apparently drove onto the sidewalk to get around an idling bus, Rodino said, adding the three people killed were waiting for the bus.

After striking the pedestrians, the driver kept going until the truck slammed into a power pole, shearing it at the base and temporarily knocking out power to about a dozen customers in the immediate area, including the nearby Vernon rail yard, Rodino said.

Nine people, including the suspect, were injured and transported to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, Rodino said.

A fund has been established to help the families of the fatally injured people. Donations can be made via checks mailed to the Vernon Police Officers Association, Police Station, 4305 Santa Fe Ave., Vernon. Anyone seeking more information about the fund can call Rodino at (323) 353-2037.