• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd brake light...again

Jack

Thanks to roadhog I copied his idea and couldn't be happier. Easy install and easy on the pocketbook and does a fantastic job. Thanks again...

Glad I could help!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 4 months later...

I just installed the high mount, LED strip like a few others have done, and I think its great. Super easy, and visible. My car was already hit back in the 90's, and the "repair" is starting to show, so I'm trying to avoid any more damage.

I Followed Justin's lead and f

inally installed the LED light strip I picked up from Super Bright LEDs. I cut the 3 ft red led flexible light strip down to a little over 2 ft. Then picked up some plastic tubing that you would use to hide electrical cords around a house. Cut away a 3rd of the circumference so it would direct the light out the back window and not into the cabin. Painted the tubing black, glued the light strip inside and mounted/glued the entire unit to the inside top of the rubber gasket that holds the rear window in place. Then ran the wiring behind the back seats into the trunk and tapped into the wiring harness at the left rear tail light.

I have to hide some of the wiring and clean up a few things, but you can barely see it during the day when it is off and it sure stands out at night when it's on.

post-42227-0-76128200-1383601272_thumb.j

post-42227-0-13218100-1383630286_thumb.j

Edited by Bpbates

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

I Followed Justin's lead and f

inally installed the LED light strip I picked up from Super Bright LEDs. I cut the 3 ft red led flexible light strip down to a little over 2 ft. Then picked up some plastic tubing that you would use to hide electrical cords around a house. Cut away a 3rd of the circumference so it would direct the light out the back window and not into the cabin. Painted the tubing black, glued the light strip inside and mounted/glued the entire unit to the inside top of the rubber gasket that holds the rear window in place. Then ran the wiring behind the back seats into the trunk and tapped into the wiring harness at the left rear tail light.

I have to hide some of the wiring and clean up a few things, but you can barely see it during the day when it is off and it sure stands out at night when it's on.

SWEET!! Looks great, and excellent idea with the tubing.

'72 - 2533095 ex-auto, not stock

'76 - 2374191 PNO - boo, CA SMOG

Sorry I should have take photos along the way.  Here are a few shots that I took as i rushed out the door this morning.  I'll try to get some better one and edit this post in the next day or so.   I followed my wife home last night and there is no way that you can miss the 02 when braking at night now... :)

A sample of the bracket after I cut and painted it black:

post-42227-0-82575600-1383673731_thumb.j

Routing the wire.  It tucks into the window gasket easily and then follows the wiring harness to the driver side tail light.  I spliced into it just before the harness enters the tail light housing.  There is also a good ground in the same corner.

post-42227-0-66101800-1383673867_thumb.j

Not the best shot, but it does show roughly where I mounted the bracket and light strip:

post-42227-0-34339300-1383674072_thumb.j

I have a decent video from last night too. I'll try to add it to my profile page so I don't clutter up this posting. PM me if you want more details.

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

Diggin! Looks a lot like the one I did a few years back. Ive always been a believer of the highest possible, widest third brake light you can find/make. Better IMHO than those little dinky parcel mounted ones. Anythings better than nothing, but still... I like your setup!  :D

101_9707.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I ended up going with a 7 series third brake light. Easy to install, easy to work with, looks factory. I still need to remake my rear parcel tray, so it will more than likely be raised up a bit, but I really like the way it looks.

I'll have to get a photo of it on in the night...

post-41531-0-08949900-1383760445_thumb.j

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried (on euro style rear bumpers) using the registration plate lights as a third brake light?  My thought is to turn around the lights on the bumper and replace with red bulbs.  Any way, I have the lights on the way and will try it.

I posted this recently, but will add to this thread. 

Having a convertible top of sorts (Targa), I don't have the option of using an interior light. I found a cool little 9 bulb LED sealed strip on Amazon. I cut a mounting plate out of a 1/16" aluminum (door) push plate with a jewelers saw, and mounted off of my top two license plate bolts. The PO had left a plugged hole behind the plate that I rubber grommetted and ran my wire through into the trunk. 

I wanted something very removable, that sat high enough to see, and didn't require drilling a hole in the bumper (my rear bumper sits too tight to the body to allow for a fog light bracket). Works great, and I feel that the SUV behind me might even notice now when I'm braking. 

post-41346-0-39095600-1396109803_thumb.j

post-41346-0-25600900-1396109814.jpg

post-41346-0-06871200-1396109827_thumb.j

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Has anyone tried (on euro style rear bumpers) using the registration plate lights as a third brake light?  My thought is to turn around the lights on the bumper and replace with red bulbs.  Any way, I have the lights on the way and will try it.

My initial thought is, good idea, but questionable execution.

1- Those license plate lights use a 5W festoon or 'torpedo' bulb, very dim.  Brake lights should be very bright.

2- The fixture is very small, brake lights should be big, I think at least 8 square inches.

3- They're located below the stock brake lights, poor placement.

4- Doing so would disable registration plate lights, technically a violation (not likely to be ticketed, though).

5- Where would you get red festoon bulbs at 5W or higher, I assume you would want them to be bright. LED???

You are thinking in the right direction, and it sounds like you are looking for something that doesn't look 'tacked on'. 

I would keep looking for an effective solution, one that:

looks like it belongs,

is eye-catching (meaning it gets attention),

is BRIGHT, and

is easy to maintain. 

The best lights in the world are useless if they need strange bulbs that are dim or hard to find, or use cheap LEDs that fail and can't be replaced.  Nothing wrong with LED, there are some great answers in this post, and their speed (rise time) is very good.

The 2002 is a fabulously well-designed and long-lived model; the concept of modernizing the rear lighting is almost guaranteed to keep it going strong, well into the future. 

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Andy

Malaga 72 2002, retired to the track

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the input. I will read all these and look them over. Any suggestion on the right brake light not working? Getting voltage. Big project on removing the squeal from the belt on start-up. Wait 528 has issues now.

Tim, 1973 tii, 99 528is, BMW CCA 50787

Thanks for the input. I will read all these and look them over. Any suggestion on the right brake light not working? Getting voltage. Big project on removing the squeal from the belt on start-up. Wait 528 has issues now.

Tim, 1973 tii, 99 528is, BMW CCA 50787

Tim-

Good luck w/528.  On the 02, rt. brake light issue may be 'old age', meaning the steel tab that holds the contact strip against the bulb base (center) contact is weak. 

There are two reasons a weak base contact is bad for brake lights - 1, the +12V must break through the iffy current path, which usually will be oxidised after 40 years or so; and 2, the weak spring force doesn't push the bulb shell contact into the pin lands on the sides, making the ground path weak as well. 

If you have voltage, and the bulb works, I say 'time to bend' that center spring contact against the bottom of the bulb.  First remove the bulb, go in from the trunk side and pull the plastic cover off (if it's still there), and bend the contact towards the lens kind of gently.  You can break it, and then you're going to be sad, so go slowly.  After each bend, put the bulb (or better, a new high output bulb) back into the socket, and once seated, test the springiness by pushing the bulb into the socket a tiny bit to test it out.  If still weak, bend a bit further, but go slowly.

Last test, of course, is to have a helper push the brake pedal and observe the lights.

Let me know if you are interested in high output bulbs, or a dual tail light conversion, we gotta keep these cars out of harm's way!

Good luck!

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back

• 8 months later...

Saw this today, ironically on a Japanese car forum. LOL. Wish I new how it mounted.

Ha! Didn't see that Swedish quality product before:) Well, Swedish sold in that box, anyway.. I used to sell BG car accessories back in the 90's as a teen working at my dads car parts store. I think the company BG was around from the 70's to mid 90's. 

By the way, the box says "Warning brake lights at eye level", and I think I remember them. I believe there are two plastic "poles" in the box that were telescopic which were put between the upper part of the seal and the shelf, holding the lights a chosen height. There was surely different versions, we sold plenty of them.

For myself, I've got a big 70's style Hella to mount to the diagonal tube of the roll bar, once that's in..

Edited by GreenSwede

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

Hey, we're back at the top!

I have a question for hc2002:

Henry - I built a third brake light for you in November, 2013, from a roundie tail light that I had re-wired, relayed, and re-lamped so ALL sectors were red.  What ever became of this project - you were having a bracket made to hold it in place on the package shelf, did this ever get finished?

LOVE to see the results, when it's installed.