• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone drive their 2002 in snow?

asvander

Hello all,

I just thinned the herd a bit more today and sold my 330Ci. I'm proud to say that I went down from six driveable vehicles to two in just under two months... well, at least my wife is proud;) I've been studying the Dave Ramsey school of thought on cars and money (don't buy it unless you pay in cash), and thought I would give it a shot.

So, it occurred to me that if I found a less than perfect 2002, maybe I could use it as my winter driver. I was wondering if anyone does this at all currently, or have in the past. I wouldn't expect a 2002 to be spectacular in the snow, but thought that it might be somewhat decent with snow tires and a few bags of sand in the trunk.

Let me know what you think, thanks,

Aric Vander Werff

1973 2002tii 1972 2002

Drove my first '02 all over southern Germany & Austria during the '70s in snow. Had winter chunky tread tyres and never had a problem. Rear wheel drive in the snow/mud can be fun, but you need to know your car and how it handles. Experience of driving in those conditions helps too!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The salt will kill it fast. The E30's and E28"s may still have cosmoline to help protect them. Get a 528e or a 325e. I have had mant 325e's and they handel great in the snow.

No, but I drove my '70 Opel GT in the snow tons of times, as back in the day it was my only car. I drive it while I was in college, the military, and everywhere.

It was fabulous top drive in the snow, with snow tires of course! Those were the days before front wheel drive or all-wheel cars, so I had little choice! :-)

I have heard from others of the more "mature" members on this board who owned an '02 when they were new, that snow driving was absolutely no problem with snow tires.

That being said, "rust indeed is the real problem". I wouldn't do it unless you plan to have rust repair and repaints every few years.

Funny thing, this is exactly the way I got into 2002's back in the 90's. I wanted to take my M5 off the road as my daily driver, so I talked my wife into letting me buy an '02 as a "beater" to drive in the winter. Well, the rest is history - 4 '02's later, they are all garage queens, with the exception of the parts car which sits in a storage garage!

I did drive my '76 daily, in rain, and snow a couple of time - because I got caught when driving it to work, and it has a few rust bubbles, but real sweet otherwise, so it's in the garage now too. I drive my Jeep to work now almosty exclusively, except for sunny '02 days - looking forward to some of those in the coming weeks!

John

post-197-13667583599555_thumb.jpg

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

i drive mine in the snow and love it! i am aware of the rust dangers but "it goes like bloddy hell"! it is truely a blast. i do my best to hose it off after each drive in the basement. someday (hopefully soon) it will be parked and i'll start dismanteling for body resto.

(o=00=o)

Guest Anonymous

The front end will be more prone to push instead of turn. If you want to add weight, put it under the back seat.

With four skinny tires the 02 is great in the snow - even better if your state allows studs.

Over the decades, I've commuted Wisconsin winters in various 2002s and yes, the salt will eat them alive.

Funny thing... I was thinking of doing the same thing with the rusty '68 1600-2 I picked up recently. (I already have an AWD Subie, so I admit this isn't a logical move.) Its been 15 years since I drove an 02 year round. Back then, what started as a slightly rusty '69 lasted for 6 years in OH and MA before the rockers were gone and a rear shock tower gave out. It was a lot of fun in the winter except for the lack of ventilation, leaking door/window seals, windows that would fog up and some reluctance to start when it was really cold. If you can get a slightly rusty, running 02 for $500 or so, I say go for it. A little adventure is good for the soul.

Karl

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.