• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what a difference an s14 starter makes

BLUNT

Les has it right - that is a nice diagram of what I use. That takes the difficult, monkey wrangling, cursing, using zip ties, process of getting a spanner on the head of the hex headed bolt or nut.

You place the cap headed bolt through the starter and the nut on the bell housing. You can hold the cap screw with an allen wrench or ratchet and tighten the nut. Makes that process better. You may need washers, forgot exactly what I used and too lazy to go look.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

the OEM 2002 starter--in good condition--will spin over an '02 engine, even a high compression one, just fine. The primary advantage of using an E30 M3 starter is weight savings. An M30 starter is more powerful than either as it has to spin 50% more engine.

Most old original 2002 starters by now have worn brushes, and even more important, a loose rear armature bushing. It's set in a plastic sleeve; when the sleeve disintegrates the bushing spins with the armature, generating considerable drag. Unfortunately the sleeve isn't available as a spare part, but you can make your own brass/bronze rear bushing and press it directly into the rear motor housing. I made mine on a drill press witha file and hacksaw blade. This'll cure about 90% of slow turning starter problems...it did on both my cars.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

difficult, monkey wrangling, cursing, using zip ties, process of getting a spanner on the head of the hex headed bolt or nut.

Bill what are you talking about???

Nut-weldedtocoathanger.jpg

I didn't do it... Taken off an e21 in the junkyard with an almost brand new starter. That welded on coathanger did make me bleed - A LOT... before I figured out what was going on :-)

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

difficult, monkey wrangling, cursing, using zip ties, process of getting a spanner on the head of the hex headed bolt or nut.

Bill what are you talking about???

Nut-weldedtocoathanger.jpg

I didn't do it... Taken off an e21 in the junkyard with an almost brand new starter. That welded on coathanger did make me bleed - A LOT... before I figured out what was going on :-)

Ah, that's a classic. The Chinese come up with a host of ideas rather than use the correct tool for the job. I guess exporting all their tools to Harbor Freight leaves them toolless!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17