• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turned down by haggerty

BLUNT

i am trying to get coverage on a restored 65 thunderbird valued at 25k i inherited from my father. haggerty and american collectors both declined coverage due to my driving record. i got a careless in july of 05 that i wasnt aware was careless. i thought it was just speed. and my wife has had 3 speeding in 2 years. i can get coverage from state farm for 78 bucks every 6 mos but i cant drive it for pleasure except to and from car shows. i want to be able to take it out occasionally. sucks to have a shitty driving record. no accidents, just speed and the careless

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

is a cruise in almost every night of the week in the summertime, and a whole bunch on weekends.

Have you tried JC Taylor or St Paul Mercury?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You might ask State Farm about the use limitations again. Many large insurers offer this type of coverage and limit use to shows, parades, diving to the shop and occasional (usually weekend) drives to keep the car running well -- not just shows. I have a policy like this from Nationwide for about 100 bucks a year.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

It is like a car show every time you take an old car out.

When I had that insurance on my 02, the situation was such that I was getting the car ready for an event. We needed to make sure it was reliable.

Did you happen to mention your 'record' to Jan prior to the Alpine?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Steve, you might also try Grundy Worldwide. Same as Hagerty but without mileage restriction.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Register it and yank the speedo cable. No mileage = no driving.

If you get in an accident, I'm sure you can find a car show somewhere that you were "headed to."

I like this Evil idea for some reason :)

why mess with it, a normal 02 odo keeps distance in light years. At least mine does, or does it? :)

I was in AAA early this week renewing my registration and AAA now offers collector car insurance (at least in So Cal).

I don't know if AAA offers this across the country or what type of coverage they offer.

HTH

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

I have a feeling that it's not the company its the record. I'd pay the $78 and like others suggested just scope out the internet/papers, etc and find a show in the area. In the small print you'll read that you are allowed to take it to shows as well as to a mechanic for tuneups & maintenance... I'm sure there has got to be some NTB, Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. close that you were going to for a tire rotation or because you think you threw a wheel weight, etc...

Don't crash it up & don't get pulled over and you'll be fine.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

i am trying to get coverage on a restored 65 thunderbird valued at 25k i inherited from my father. haggerty and american collectors both declined coverage due to my driving record. i got a careless in july of 05 that i wasnt aware was careless. i thought it was just speed. and my wife has had 3 speeding in 2 years. i can get coverage from state farm for 78 bucks every 6 mos but i cant drive it for pleasure except to and from car shows. i want to be able to take it out occasionally. sucks to have a shitty driving record. no accidents, just speed and the careless

It's not a good idea (as it's a crime) to lie (misrepresent) to an insurance company for if you are caught (they are used to liars) they will rescind your policy and give you all your money back and you were never insured in the first place just when you need the coverage and they could have you prosecuted for fraud.

Careless-driving, as a ticket, is not written in Kali, but I would assume that it's similar to reckless-driving here, which is a major violation like drunk-driving and the like. If this is the code you were cited under in Minnesota, it is not just a ticket, but a misdemeanor . . .

169.13 RECKLESS OR CARELESS DRIVING.

Subdivision 1. Reckless driving. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle in such a manner as

to indicate either a willful or a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of

reckless driving and such reckless driving is a misdemeanor.

(B) A person shall not race any vehicle upon any street or highway of this state. Any person

who willfully compares or contests relative speeds by operating one or more vehicles is guilty of

racing, which constitutes reckless driving, whether or not the speed contested or compared is in

excess of the maximum speed prescribed by law.

Subd. 2. Careless driving. Any person who operates or halts any vehicle upon any street or

highway carelessly or heedlessly in disregard of the rights of others, or in a manner that endangers

or is likely to endanger any property or any person, including the driver or passengers of the

vehicle, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Subd. 3. Application. (a) The provisions of this section apply, but are not limited in

application, to any person who drives any vehicle in the manner prohibited by this section:

(1) upon the ice of any lake, stream, or river, including but not limited to the ice of any

boundary water; or

(2) in a parking lot ordinarily used by or available to the public though not as a matter of

right, and a driveway connecting the parking lot with a street or highway.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call or when in

pursuit of an actual or suspected violator;

(2) the emergency operation of any vehicle when avoiding imminent danger; or

(3) any raceway, racing facility, or other public event sanctioned by the appropriate

governmental authority.

History: (2720-177) 1937 c 464 s 27; 1939 c 430 s 5; 1947 c 428 s 11; 1967 c 569 s 2;

Ex1971 c 27 s 7; 1983 c 236 s 1; 1984 c 622 s 15; 2006 c 260 art 2 s 1

This is a major violation, as I said like drunk or speed-contest here. Major violations stay on your driving record longer than an infraction (regular ticket) in most states, so you need to see if any potential insurer treats this as a major. I wonder if State Farm is considering this in that quote, and the fact that your wife has numerous tickets too. Better to declare all this up-front so you don't find out there's a giant premium increase or cancellation down the road once they've (the insurance company) run your driving record (agents rarely do this themselves as it cost them money).

Sometimes you have to face the music and just take the pain and learn a lesson. Both you and your wife better review your conduct on the road as you need to be spottless for a number of years and can't make one mistake at the wheel. Maybe you did reveal both records to all potential insurers, but the SF quote doesn't make sense with your records.