• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

would you do it again?

BLUNT

Would I do it again...like Miss Emily? Probably not. I spent 5-6 years simply assembling many of the "special" parts that found their way onto her. (from QR steering box, vintage angled velocity stacks for the 45s, to wacky Euro-only minutia..some of which no-one will ever see or hear about.) Another key factor is TRUST in those who perform your metal / paintwork. I don't have the bodywork skills....so this was the portion of the resto that could have been a potential nightmare. As it worked out - I think I made the right decision.

Truth is: She was ALOT more fun to drive when a little ratty. Driving it in downtown Baltimore has become NERVE WRACKING (did it today in fact).Too many pimply-faced punkassed kid cel phone users in SUVs in my rear view mirror at traffic lights! The next 02 I get will be ugly as sin, have good suspension and brakes, and a motor from Satan. I could give two sh!ts about the paint and metal work...but it'll be even F A S T E RRRR!

Love + one year's salary + 7 years + more love = $16K car.

..and I wouldn't have it any other way!

paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

And the results..fruits of your effort make Em one of the nicest i.m.o.

Drove D.C.to Balt and backyesterday.SUV's doing 90+ and Prius seedanns

coasting at 45 mph was too fun.For the first time old Patina saw redline in

forth 6,200 r.p.m.only to be passed by a Z06 Corvette.

Don't worry Paul I let him win.

When will Em make her 07 guest appearance.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Yeah I'd restore a car from start to finish ..top to bottom. However the next time I get the chance I"ll make sure I'm not in the position where the project car is also the daily driver. Fortunately this site has saved my hide on more than one occasion which definitely makes me want to do another 02 probably something in a round tail light though!

Just my 02cents worth!

Ben

'74 tii - malaga

Guest Anonymous
As long as my heart skips a beat when I see a pic like this, I think I'm eternally hooked on these things....who else would pay $8,000 to store an old rusty '74 "Inka" '02 Parts car for the past 7 years?...I'd call that a very bad investment! :-)

BTW John, I'd like to see your car actually "FINISHED" sometime soon! :-)

I will be coming to Ohio sometime in May...I'd like to pop on up from Akron to see it and meet you in person ok?

Keep the faith,

John

Baja Cantina about 20 minutes from my house. I am prettu sure that I have NEVER seen that car in town.

Best thing I ever did was start the restoration with my Dad. By the end i know that only the hardest situations would make me let go of the car because if its sentimental value. Sometimes the jobs are tough but hey, its character building stuff. You stick with it and you overcome it. Would i do another one like Blacky was done. For sure.

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I'm glad I didn't go that far. I got a clean shell from Matt McGinn and painted it myself, then transferred everything from the old body to the new one. I'm sure I got a few things wrong here and there and the paint is far from perfect, but I can drive it without being in constant fear and don't have regret saying bad things to my kids when they bump into the car with a bike or toy.

I really enjoy looking at the perfectly restored cars and am truly impressed with what Bill has done, but I'm happy with the path I took.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

Yes, I would. In fact, I have 2 more tii's in line after I finish this one.

Every nut and bolt has been re-plated on this '72tii. Hell, I've never even driven the car. I bought it from Jack F inop. I guess that's why I have no emotional attachment to it.

Blunt knows the problems I've had with parts. But I swear, I'll never do another roundie.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

I think I may have done my the hard way, I bought a car that had the body work done, new hood, decklid, fenders, rockers etc, new steel welded into the rear quarters and had been repainted in a single stage urethane in the original Atlantik color. The rest of the car was in boxes, I replaced all the interior, all the exterior trim includining belt trim seats etc. I also rebulilt the cyl head, pedal box, gas tank, heater box etc. I really don't know if I'd do one again, I do know it;d be a lot easier if I took it apart, assembling stuff that is apart before you buy it adds a whole new level of complication.

I'm getting close to finishing my '74 tii. I've definitely learned a thing or two along the way. Its certainly not a perfect restoration, but then again the car was driven hard, tracked, ice raced, rolled, fixed, neglected and rusted. I guess its a survivor.

My next project (someday) will be to take my '76 and restore it to a high level. Yea it is my first car, I've already had the car painted twice, replaced the motor twice, and have made all sorts of annoying and time consuming mistakes on it. But 18 years and counting I and I am not finished quite yet....

I don't give up to easily.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I HAVE the organizational skills.

Fortunately, however, I lack the needed monetary and time management skills to actually complete the things that I am fully capable of.

I am currently seeing if I can totally dismantle the M3, bag & label all the parts, and be able to fgure out how it all goes back together two years later.

I just keep spraying the slippery slope with Tri-flow AND taking a running start on my way down for more speed.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes