• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie here, 1969 1600-bone stock!!!

gruizer

In my opinion, keep an original car original. My 68 ‘02 is mostly original to my knowledge and on the visible things that are wrong; I do my best to research and make it right. (Mike Self can make a list, I’m sure)

There are some things that you can do that future owners will appreciate as long as the appearance is kept stock and clean. These things can also increase your value. Carbs, Shocks, Wheels (period are best, nothing fancy) 320i rear drums, better seatbelts for example are things that enhance your safety and drivability of the car, but won’t bother a future owner. (Save your parts!) Please resist the temptation to add a CD/DVD player, amps and subs in the trunk….the best music is found under the hood, or out the rear pipe—don’t ruin it.

Enjoy!

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

img013.jpg

Heres' my '69 Chamonix 2002.

Picture was taken in 1973.

Note the Cosmic 5.5" wheels, Abarth exhaust, custom splash guards.

Other than that, it's all stock!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

was this car, by chance, the one on Craigslist in Oakland? with the rust on the trunk and wonderfull black-plate license plates?

those early cars are special. congrats on where ever it came from.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

1600s like 2002 underwent evolution through their production run.

There are common miconceptions and stereotypes about 1600s. You can't lump all of them in the same category.

For Example:

Only the 66-67 1600s came with the 6 volt electrical system. Some of these early 1600s were not equipped with sway bars, but most were with at least a front sway bar. The sway bar mounting points are found on all cars at the front location, although, there were no mounting points for the rear sway bar until late 68.

66-67-and some early 68s came with the Euro-Spec dash with no padding on the lower piece and the chrome/plastic strips with ashtray in dash. Certainly the most beautiful 02 dash.

Without getting into all the specific differences, the earlier the car, the cleaner the design.

The 69 1600 has the more familiar brake booster of the 2002. It has an identical brake set-up as the 68 2002 except for the smaller 200mm drums at the rear. Judging by your picture, your 1600 is an early 69. It still has no reflectors on the fenders.

Slavs

67 1600 (Bristol)

69 1600 (Granada)

70 2002 (Colorado)

2X 74 2002s (Amazon, Primer Yellow)

Delia,

Your old 69 looks greats.Cosmics are such a classic look.Years ago i had a Lotus Europa J.P.S. Black and Tan w/ cosmics.

I've had a soft spot for those since....

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Jerry, you are correct, this was the one on craigslist in Oakland with the rust on the trunk. The guy that was selling it bought it at an estate sale when the original owner passed a couple years ago. And I will definitely be at Palo Alto in May...It's been about 5 years since i've been to one of those. Hope to meet many of you guys there.

cosmicrefinished031106%20001.jpg

Jonathan,

Here are some Cosmics I had redone last year, complete with NOS centercaps.

Sent them to South Melborne where they now roll around underneath a Fjord roundie.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Delia,

What How Why did I miss these...as he stomps his feet.

They look great...13x5" ?

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

13" x 5.5"

After the refinishing, centercaps and shipping, these can get pricey.

FYI: There are some board members who are hoarding Cosmic Wheels.

:)

I'd love to have another set, but I'm stuck with some over-restored Octavo 100+ wheels at the moment.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Delia,

Sorry for the thread hijack..

I'm happy with my 13x6 Superlite faux Minilite,but a set of Cosmics or

Factory alloys may be next in line.

Currently locked on the concept of recovering a 2 piece dash in

i

zitleather.a great vinyl very very similar grain to stock.

Or possibly

spinneybeck or edelman brand leather.

Just need a couple of decent dash to test.

My wife is a commercial interior designer and her access to materials is wonderful.

Jonathan

What a sweet heart of a car. Great find!

I wish I still had my 1600. Other than the primer paintjob, everything was left alone on that car and was planning on a full #'s matching resto. They are little buzzers and was just a blast to drive- especially with that enormous steering wheel

Good luck!

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

Cool! A member from Livermore. I'm sure I'll see you around town. What part of Lievrmore are you in.

Welcome aboard Rudy.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793