• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking Advice on Driving Lights

InkaSteve

My Touring seems to be screaming out for some kind of driving lights.

I would like to keep it "period correct" if possible. I need to know how to best wire them, and attach them (I would rather not drill holes in the bumper).

Here is the "naked" front end

ronal008.jpg

Jan's (Pichos1) hugh light Alpina

P9170241.jpg

Tom Stephenson's original/sportspacket look

hwy3306019.jpg

or, Jonathan's Tii

1-7-07tii005-1.jpg

Then there is Jan's "Aristo - Luigi". Maybe a little more than I need.

P1010499.jpg

Not the only options, just trying to make up my mind what I want.

1. Type of light, and where to get.

2. How and where to mount. I know some have mentioned a way to mount through the grill.

3. How to wire.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, because I know you will share them.

Who knows? This might become a FAQ article by the time I am done.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

designed a bracket that extends thru the grill slats and attaches to the front clip, so the lights kinda "float". That's the route I'm going to take when I get around to it with our tii, and I don't think the design shoud be too hard to figure out.

Period correct I believe would be Cibies or Hellas similar to the pics you posted.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

1. Mounting--I went to my local UNISTRUT dealer and bought a pair of heavy L-shaped brackets about 2/5" long on each arm--bolted one end to the upper carrige bolt that's concealed by the top of the bumper guard (roundies), set the bracket at a 45 degree angle to the car's front, and bolted the driving light to the other end. You can use other brackets, but these are 3/16" thick, powder coated and won't cause annoying vibrations when the light is on.

2. Wiring--always use a relay. I used a double throw switch with three terminals. connect the switch to relay wire to the center terminal, then run a wire from one side terminal to the high beam terminal on the dimmer switch, and the third wire from the remaining terminal to a hot wire, either ignition controlled or hot all the time. That arrangement will allow you to leave the driving lights off all the time, have 'em go on and off with your high beams, or be turned on independently of all other lights (great backup if your headlights fail).

Hella, Bosch and Optilux all make vintage appearing halogen driving lights; I think both Cibie and Marschal do also.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

Does your touring have the "Y"-shaped bumper bracket? I had two pieces of angle iron welded onto one part of the bracket and bolted mine on there. I don't have driving lights right now, but Molly seems to want a pair as well.

Elmo has fog lights (which I've never used) and doesn't need driving lights, as he has 100-watt high beams.

David Roach

"Molly" (Inka 1973 2002)

"Elmo" (Diamondschwartz 1991 325ix)

tourings NEED more lights, it's true!

Personally, I would go with two Cibie Super Oscars, like I did on my Sahara car:

tii.jpg

And don't forget the rear end, either:

touringsgalore.jpg

My touring came with these:

augsept2006009.jpg

I agree,the Oscars are terrific.I had some on an M.G B.GT I had years ago

Jan's car looks sensational.

On my tii ..just cheap Hella 500's w/ relays and a o.e.m. headlight switch in the old green dummie button position.

The mounts are from Bob aka tilux,essentially a rubber padded clamp the is held by allen heads.No drilling and they work well enough.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

If you click on my website, you'll see Orange Julius in a previous incarnation (pun intended) with his vintage, chrome-backed,, E-Code Bosch driving lamps. Underneath those checked covers are a VGC set of vintage Carello fogs.

I've since deleted the drilled front bumper in favor of something a bit more conservative using some angle iron brackets affixed to the '73-only front bumper brackets. I had originally intended to use the pair of Carello fogs, but opted for the clear Bosch units. They throw a lot of light.

As I recall, Susquehanna Motorsports has some great Hella driving lamps that are vintage-correct. Check their website.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Thanks for the useful advice, so far.. I am leaning towards the Oscars, I like the look of Jan's Touring.

Josh, did the "compact car washers" come with the Touring too?? augsept2006009.jpg

I didn't get that option with mine.

Are these also Super Oscars?? this is Jan's M2..

DSC_4341.jpg

Jon_uk... here are some more views of Jan's Touring. They are thumbnails, click on them

th_P9170251.jpgth_P9170242.jpg

Thanks and keep the responses coming..

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

Josh, did the "compact car washers" come with the Touring too?? I didn't get that option with mine.

Compact car washers? What are those? If you're talking about the lights, I have not changed anything. Here's the car on the dock coming over from Europe:

inkaatthedock.jpg

Compact car washers? What are those? If you're talking about the lights, I have not changed anything. Here's the car on the dock coming over from Europe:

inkaatthedock.jpg

I was referring to the charming children washing the car....future detail experts.

Looks like Hueneme. Here is my car and Jon Nunez's at Hueneme. Lousy cellphone pic.

Picture048.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg