• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just had a crazy idea.....

bmw1602.com

What should I do?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Go for it! you can never have enough unfinish rusty projects...
    • Just keep improving my '02 racer and begin to maybe start a saving account.
    • stop everything. Get out of debt first and get treatment for this addiction.

I don't know why I want to do this to myself but.....

I've recently had the urge to build my version of the ultimate street car(since my '02 is a race car).

start with a beat up

e9 3.0 cs

add

e36 M3 engine and tranny (eventually add SC)

then go all out and make a custom fender flares ala period race cars

So it the end it should look like a the csl racecars of old but with 90's reliabilty,power.

what do you all think?

Have you ever heard of someone doing something similar?

DSCN3772.jpg

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

having just voted to go for it i am (sadly) in the process of seeking long term storage for two of my 2002's and putting my adiction onn a hiatus in favour of the city-slicker lifestyle of career, girl/ring, house and retire young enough that i can still turn a wrench.

its up to you... have fun now, later or both!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

A friend has something quite similar. It's a 3.0 CS restored to all original museum condition but with e34 M5 engine. Same guy also has a home made replica CSL batmobile as a racecar.

Thinking about your situation I can tell there's enough work with one racecar if you have any other life at all!

DSC02758.JPG

Picture%20297.jpg

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I hate to be a wet blanket - but I voted save up. I cant say much for your personal situation - but this is what would happen to me: (in this order)

I'd spend money on my secondary project initially rather than my first.

After weeks of trying to work on both - realize its not going to happen.

Revert back to working on my orig project - and then later resume on the secondary.

It seems like it would be more time and cost effective to focus on one at a time - and when an unuaual excess in budget occurs save it for the secondary project. This also allows you time to bail without having to sell off a bunch of parts - get rid of a shell, ect. Now if you bail (god forbid) - you just have extra cash!!

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

I hate to be a wet blanket - but I voted save up. I cant say much for your personal situation - but this is what would happen to me: (in this order)

Revert back to working on my orig project - and then later resume on the secondary.

It seems like it would be more time and cost effective to focus on one at a time - and when an unuaual excess in budget occurs save it for the secondary project. This also allows you time to bail without having to sell off a bunch of parts - get rid of a shell, ect. Now if you bail (god forbid) - you just have extra cash!!

ditto. get out of my head

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

I agree 100% with this. I've been there. Bought project #2. Ended up spending time on that and ignoring project #1. Eventually sold project #1 to by something (a transmission maybe?) for #2.

Personally, I can't work on two cars at once. I'll end up excited about one of them and ignoring the other completely.

Hopefully I can finish the '02 long before my E46 ever gets to a "project" state. :)

'70 1600 - Chamonix - 2.0L + 5-speed

Guest Anonymous

Here's a thought,

Skip the 6 banger, get the V10 engine that came from that totaled '06 M5 (posted a few weeks ago on the parts section (somewhere in IL). If I had the $$ I'd do that!

J.E.2002