• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the end results

esty

Surpised how much I like that, very original, which is rare to say about these cars after 30 years of freaks messing with them. Why is your front bumper mounted so high - to me it spoils the line a little bit, was that a US thing?

It also looks like it sits really high at the rear.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you have it professionally done?

Can I inquire as to the cost?

Thanks

Mike R

mike...i did all the work myself...steve (hubby) helps with some of the heavy work.... i have most of the info in a thread in the blog forum...i stripped the car, bought some tools and taught myself to paint, i installed the interior, headliner, carpet, etc...including interior finish minus the new seats i recently bought, i have about $2000.00 in the car, as you see it....paint, interior re-do, bumpers, suspension rebuild

Surpised how much I like that, very original, which is rare to say about these cars after 30 years of freaks messing with them. Why is your front bumper mounted so high - to me it spoils the line a little bit, was that a US thing?

It also looks like it sits really high at the rear.

nick, the bumper mounting's one of the things i'm still working on...it's high because i used the big bumper bracket holes with fabricated mounts to fit those holes...hopefully, i can get it lowered a couple of inches before it moves to it's new home

although i like it high, i'd prefer it correct

Come on!

If ya can't decide on one color, just flip a coin or something.

:^)

It ~does~ look very good. Opens up the doors for lots of mods.

I like it.

Myself, I'd like to build a Johnny Cash 2002. Paint it all black, but it would have one big bumper, one small chrome bumper. One small bumper over-rider, and one large one. One Euro turn signal lens and one US. One square light, one roundie. Etc...

One piece at a time, and it won't cost me a dime.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Esty, it came out very nice,original and done with taste.As time goes on, the square tails are growing on me more and more.Two thousand, that's it,you are a smart little shopper...

Nice work

Jonathan

How's about some interior and motor pics..ie the whole schmere...

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

great looking car, esty. I like the stance of your car... reminds me of this car on 2002ad.

What size rims and tires are on there?

I guess 'stance' also has to do with your new suspension.

is this thread still alive?

obligatory car info:

1974 '02, Weber 32/36, 4-speed, no fancy nothin' daily driver.

Esty, good to see you are getting it close to being roadworthy. Just to let you know, the front bumpers came out directly off the lower part of the chassis rails at the front on bumper irons...

Image_132_.jpg

Here is an image of the car minus the front (so convienient to display)

(See the broken tow hook, the US spec squaries have a large mount that sits on top of that chassis rail (that is bent) The irons are held in place by bolts that sit into gussets in the side of the chassis rail. They are adjustable back and forth. I think the early models are the same...

If you do it right, the lower trims all match up together all the way around.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg