• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 tii rebuild - update - 3/22/08

ibjettin

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

It took all day Saturday to finish the body work and get the prime coat sprayed. This saturday we will be block sanding and hopefully start spraying the Golf paint! We're hoping to finish by the end of the weekend.

Sorry, boring... No pics - I am hoping to get some posted sometime this week.

I took a few pics of my car as it is right now. We were not able to paint this past weekend but it's been a year so what's a few more days :)

I took a day off from working on the car Saturday to head up to visit with jerry and check out his project(s) and to pick up another tii motor and a set of beautiful Recaro's. we were both pretty stoked to find that the motor i currently have was actually number matching to the '73tii i stared out with. Jerry now has and plans on restoring it so I figured the numbers should match and the motor should go to him. Jerry had another tii motor with great compression that he gave as a trade. I didn't plan on pulling my motor but it is well worth it to see the '73 back on the road.

I'd hate to admit that these are the 3rd set of Recaro's I had purchased for my car.

233660551.jpg

233660560.jpg

233660555.jpg

233660563.jpg

233660561.jpg

After a full day of sanding and finishing the bodywork we finally got around to painting the door jams and the underside of the hood, trunk and door before calling it a day. Next weekend we will wet sand the body and shoot the rest of the car.

post-1228-13667574823888_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667574825266_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667574826481_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667586213848_thumb.jpg

Great work on the car, you've done an excellent job and it shows a lot of work. I love the color.

Question, whose carpet set are you using, I like the color pattern.

Thank and keep up the great work!!

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

Thanks Colin - I aprreciate the kind words.

I'm not sure what type of carpet kit it is - I bought it on Ebay a while ago from someone selling off 02 parts. It had been stored for some time so it still looks good. From what I heard this carpet is hard to come by today.

Thanks for the update.

I'll keep my eyes posted about ebay.

I'm getting motivated to replace my faded carpets, rip out the tar insulation and go the fatmat or b-quiet route.

Keep us posted on your work!!@

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

Sweet Job Brian I know you can not wait till this weekend to shoot the rest of the car.

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

Brian, that's looking very nice. your interior should be a good match for that yellow, too. i look forward to seeing it in palo alto next to my Malaga.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thanks Jerry, as long as you save me a spot ;) We're both really pushing getting our cars done for the show/swap in May - it'll be a fast couple of months here.

I thought I'd post some pictures of what I (with some help) accomplished this past weekend... I still have a grin from ear to ear and can't wait to put it all back together. I loved the color and how it turned out.

post-1228-13667575047689_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667575049032_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667575050518_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667575051939_thumb.jpg