• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 tii rebuild - update - 3/22/08

ibjettin

trust me - I'm looking forward to taking a drive with you guys!

Jerry, I still haven't installed the motor or gone through the engine wiring. I think the wiring will take me a day or more just to figure out where to start.

Today I finished the trunk, it took a good part of my day installing the gas tank, fixing wires, paint, install battery as well as all the trunk panels.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Golf= HOT. The car looks great. Can't wait to see it. BTW, what suspension are you going to run? Nice job Brian.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Thanks Cris!

I have Suspension Technique springs (blue) and sway bars with Bilstein's in the front and KYB's in the rear. It's pretty stiff and I hope it settles a little after I put the motor in since I'd like to have it about an inch lower.

• 2 weeks later...

brian, get posting. you've been awful quiet lately. i'm desparately trying to wrap things up myself. i MAY have to slap those rusty blue doors on my car to save time. the engine-transmission install and carpet are the biggest issues waiting. what about you?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

oh man, I've been keeping pretty busy. I'll try and get some pictures up but here's a quick list:

- engine in and I'm hooking everything up

- glass and trim in

- carpet and front seats in

- electrical gone through and taped up

- trunk/rear battery finished

- etc., etc. :P

I still have a big laundry list of things to do and parts arriving daily. Every weekend is booked with family so I've been heading to my garage after the girls are asleep.

I saw your blog and new panels - they look damn nice!

Yup, I got them from Jerry.. It took a bit of begging for them before he decided to sell them to me. He stood his gorund on the rears and wouldn't budge... I plan on getting my rear seats redone by the same guy that he had do the front.

Thanks!

I bought the carpet form someone on Ebay last year and pretty much planned my interior around it :) I didn't realize it had floor mats! I was surprised to see them when I opened the box.

FWIW - I've debated the tan interior with the Golf paint for some time and I'm glad I decided to stick with camel/tan. Black would have looked real nice, but tan sets it off.

WOW!!!

that looks great brian. those seats look great with that carpet and the brown interior goes well with golf. i'm so jealous to see your engine installed. did you do the interior before or after the engine install?

i'm trying to do the final touches on my engine before the install, but i had a minor mishap with the hoist. stupid mistake and i realized it was time to call it quits for the night. fortunately, my engine took a gentle fall. i'll sort it out tomorrow.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I started it up today :) even took it for a spin around the neighborhood.

I was ginning ear to ear as I was driving and I'm glad that now it's a matter of putting in the small stuff.

On the bad side - I'm having electrical issues with my lights. It's very odd and I know it''s just a matter of spending countless hours trouble shooting to find that one misguided wire. The headlights only go on when the key in in the ACC position but the tail lights will not. When I take the key out the tail lights go on?? I checked the switch and that's not it so I'm thinking it's a bad ground or maybe even crossed wires. I will have to trouble shoot some more this week, but if anyone has had the same problem please let me know what you discovered?

Other than that I am one happy 02er tonight!