• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E12 vs E21 2.0 heads

My 76 has an E12 head but came with a E21 2.0 as a spare. It's currently running a Weber 32/36, otherwise stock,  as far as I know. Which head is better or what benefits do they each have? TIA!

1 hour ago, Markwemple said:

Which head is better or what benefits do they each have? TIA!

It’s not really about that, both are good heads.

It’s about which head is compatible with your installed pistons, there are several different configurations of pistons. See above😉

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

'Pends on your 'Pistons.

Everything goes great with flattops.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Posted (edited)

year 76 BMW used E21 cylinder head. You suppose to have flat top piston in your block if is original and it is 1976 car.

e10_1975_us-1.pdf

Reading Conserv post I stand corrected. CA version uses E12 head

Edited by Buckeye
CA vesion used E12 cylinder head

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

36 minutes ago, Markwemple said:

So maybe someone swapped heads on my 76

Possibly the entire engine, do body and engine VINs match?

37 minutes ago, Markwemple said:

year 76 BMW used E21 cylinder head.

Except for CA smog equipped, they had an E12 head, right?

• Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

27 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Where's the database that matches vin to engine?

4 hours ago, tech71 said:

Exactly: CA-spec 76’ ‘02’s used the E12 head and 8.1 (very low) piano-top pistons — versus 49-State versions, which used E21 2,0 heads and flat-top 8.1(?) pistons. This was solely a 1976 distinction.

The original block’s engine number was the car’s VIN — without exception. More details concerning engine identification are here:

Below is a set of 8.1 pistons for an E12 head.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_1410.png

IMG_1408.png

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The value of an ‘02 head is dependent on (a.) whether its overall thickness is still within acceptable spec, (b.) the presence or absence of cracks, (c.) the straightness of the head, (d.) the amount of corrosion or damage therefrom in the water jackets, (e.) the presence of past repairs or modifications, and, at minimum, (f.) the condition of items such as valve seats, valve guides, camshaft bearing surfaces, etc.

In short, a typical 50-year-old ‘02 head is probably worth something between nothing and $2,000.

Fairly recently, BMW still had a few brand new E21 2,0 heads: $1,800-$2,000 for a bare head. No other models of heads have been available from BMW for a few years.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Markwemple said:

Where's the database that matches vin to engine?

We dont need no stinking data base! Cars VIN is on the data plate, engine VIN is located on flat spot above and just aft of the starter. If they match, engine is original to the car, if they dont then engine has been replaced.

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

The value of an ‘02 head is dependent on (a.) whether its overall thickness is still within acceptable spec, (b.) the presence or absence of cracks, (c.) the straightness of the head, (d.) the amount of corrosion or damage therefrom in the water jackets, (e.) the presence of past repairs or modifications, and, at minimum, (f.) the condition of items such as valve seats, valve guides, camshaft bearing surfaces, etc.

In short, a typical 50-year-old ‘02 head is probably worth something between nothing and $2,000.

Fairly recently, BMW still had a few brand new E21 2,0 heads: $1,800-$2,000 for a bare head. No other models of heads have been available from BMW for years.

Regards,

Steve

Steve, I bought a 121 new bare head from BMW back in 2019 but since its been NLA already.

• Thanks 1