• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much difference in noise levels do underhood pads make?

Posted (edited)

I have very mixed feelings about adding pads under my hood and trunk lid, but I'm also trying to make the car a bit more civilized (yes, I'm as appalled as you are by this wanton display of maturity), and I've done the basic interior stuff already. For those who have them, particularly the Squatch pads, how much of a difference have you found they make in sound levels inside the cabin?

For the record, I'm running dual DCOEs and long-tube headers, so this is not exactly the ideal candidate for being quiet, but I'd rather add some foam than fully capitulate to my advancing years and start ripping out performance parts. I'm old, but I'm not dead.

Edited by 02Pilot
  • Like 2

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

The hood pads will cut the noise a bit mostly on the outside of the car, I don't think the trunk pads won't add much.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Noise from outside the car enters thru the hood heater/fresh air opening and thru the heater.  Stopping the hood from drumming helps.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The squatch foam helps with hood vibrations, a little. Trunk helps very little, inho. but looks good.

Making sure your cross-hood to cowl seal is in good nick (as well as the side seals) cuts a lot of underhood noise. I've got the original air cleaner/weber, so it's fairly quiet.

My left fore/aft hood support ridge was contacting the torsion bar, creating a drone at certain revs. A small foam wedge cured that. 

• Like 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

I’ve been in a car with the whole hood underside done very nicely and I didn’t really notice when driving, it surprised me how quiet it was when I stood next to it though.

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't sound like adding the pads is going to do all that much. The cowl seals are fine, so no easy fix there.

--

There are several ways to listen to this:

if you're objectively listening to levels inside the car, it's

not going to make much difference (at all) in loudness (dBSPL)

If you're subjectively listening to levels inside the car, damping every

resonant contribution, even if it doesn't affect overall level,

is going to make the car less dissonant.  Less fatiguing.  More solid.

Fewer out- of- time contributions.  We weren't evolved to be comfortable

when there are lots of discordant sources of noise.

And there's something satisfying about a trunk that closes with a clunk

rather than a 'boing'.

t

boing used to make airplanes...

• Like 5

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What will make a significant difference in cabin noise is good padding under the carpet (think household carpet padding) including the tranny tunnel, and something in the void under the back seat.  It could be sturdy bags of styrofoam peanuts, chunks of closed cell foam packing or even thick pieces of styrofoam packing cut to fit.  then hang a piece of carpet padding from the two hooks that hold the rear seat back and you'll notice a lack of booming and resonance with that void filled up.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I understand the basic principles of sound deadening - I probably should have explained what's been done so far. When I reassembled the interior, I sealed the firewall, selectively used Kilmat on large, flat panels, laid down a layer of MLV on the entire floor and up behind the back seat, put down carpet padding over that, filled the voids under the rear seat and behind the rear trim panels with rigid foam insulation, and redid the door panels with the Turtle Labs plywood cards. It's definitely improved over what it was prior, just looking to see if there are any more easy gains to be had.

• Like 1

--

2 minutes ago, 02Pilot said:

should have explained what's been done so far.

You done quite a lot so far. The hood pads will reduce the intake/engine noise some, and the trunk foam may reduce transient vibrations from exhaust and diff operational noise. 

Given the length you've gone so far, might as well carry the efforts on. 

One benefit of the Squatch hood foam I've found is the temp of the hood surface after a run, shutdown and hot soak. Much cooler to the touch. 

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Posted (edited)

I went down this rabbit hole before. Did a lot of research and there are good and bad solutions out there with a range of a using a ton of single vs multilayered pads to just a few strategically placed pads, bricks solid vs filled with water etc. etc. There are methods based on good science and very bad science and it was hard for me to develop a strategy. 

It looks like you have done a ton already that I am not sure what else you could do aside from the hood and trunk pads is work on deadening underneath the headliner. Which also has too many good vs bad options to try out. 

But the engineer guru's here like Toby will give sound advice....pun intended. 

Bottom line what you will do is add weight to your 02' but you will never acheive  luxury car silence. I just need enough deadening to let me hear and sing to my portable bluetooth speaker....which is a very different form of sound pollution. 

Cheers! 

VL 

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Yeah, I know it's never going to be quiet; I'm just looking for less-loud. The weight is definitely a consideration, but the MLV is really the only thing that weighs much. I used the 1/2lb stuff, which isn't too terrible for weight - I didn't both calculating the square footage, but there's a lot left on the 30sq ft roll I bought. I figure I probably added ~50lbs total at most, and it's all down low.

The headliner needs to be replaced at some point, but that's not happening any time soon, so that remains an unexploited opportunity for further reduction.

--

I'd start shopping for a factory ti air cleaner it'll tame the intake noise quite a lot.

202005212132235ec6f3678993a.jpg

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

14 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

I'd start shopping for a factory ti air cleaner it'll tame the intake noise quite a lot.

I've already got one, though I'm running it without the end caps due to clearance issues at the firewall. I'm going to attempt to resolve the remaining problems this summer and try it with the caps.

• Like 1

--