• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition fracture bolts

What do people use after they remove the fracture bolts in the ignition? It is part number 32322782105, but NLA. My understanding is that it is a security measure. Considering just using an appropriate length bolt in its place.

Thanks,

Dennis

image.jpeg.40b88427949755d7331b9717e9de653c.jpeg

fracture bolts.pdf

Edited by Pdxguy

I think you need this part number 32311152052 if those are NLA then I think a m8 x 47mm screw would be my go to the original bolt seat is counter sunk if I recall.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

15 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

I think you need this part number 32311152052 if those are NLA then I think a m8 x 47mm screw would be my go to the original bolt seat is counter sunk if I recall.

Trying to determine in my mind if the absence of the tamper resistant bolt makes it less likely to be stolen. 

OK, so you basically have to cut a slot in the conical  head of these (with a cutter wheel and mini grinder) so a screwdriver can be used to remove them right?

Why cant you just run them back in, tighten and reuse?  Im sure I have done this before.

Works good lasts long unless your method of extraction has destroyed them I guess.

An appropriate pan head screw and washer also works.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I remember when I had to remove those safety bolts on an E9 to fix the ignition.  It was a PITA.  I drilled into them and used an easy-out bit.  I replaced them with standard hex head bolts.  Lucky for the next owner if they ever have to go in there again.  IMO

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️