• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Condensor

Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

I’m a long time follower under a couple different names mostly bc I have CRS. Have a question about ignition condensor. When to replace? Symptoms. Not even sure if I’m doing this correctly. A lot has changed… Peace and Love!

Hello RC, I usually replace the condenser when the points are replaced. Cheap enough, Bosch part # 02-931.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

But if you're using conventional points...that condenser is absolutely vital.  Bad condenser = no run.  Or start.  I learned this after 55 plus years of points ignition systems, and rarely replacing condensers.  Then my 02 wouldn't start...and conventional wisdom here on the FAQ said "bad condenser"--and I didn't listen.  That's exactly what it was, and an old dog learned a new trick.

mike

PS...heard tell a lot of new condensers are bad out of the box, so if you replace one and things still don't work...try another.

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

27 minutes ago, RCINKA73 said:

The pertronix was probably the best $100 bucks I ever spent

Absolutely, positively, without question!!!!

I've been using points/condenser since childhood and will NEVER go back after installing a PerTronix two years ago.

What was I waiting for???

John

• Like 1

Ok here’s a weird new one. I’m getting static shock. All new cap rotor wires and ngk platinum  plugs.  All of a sudden I’m getting zapped getting out of car. Any thoughts? Gapped plugs to .032 based on me messing around. (Runs better but still trying to find best gap). 

41 minutes ago, RCINKA73 said:

Ok here’s a weird new one. I’m getting static shock. All new cap rotor wires and ngk platinum  plugs.  All of a sudden I’m getting zapped getting out of car. Any thoughts? Gapped plugs to .032 based on me messing around. (Runs better but still trying to find best gap). 

Not sure why you're getting zapped 

Platinum plugs are for newer cars with coil on plug ignition and fuel injection. For a 2002 with a carburetor you want just regular copper plugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with 2002iii and recommend using the standard .024" - .028" plug gap. 

Bigger is not better, unless you're using a higher energy system. 

As I understand it, the spark gets weaker if it has to reach too far.

I usually set the gap to the small end of the range because it will get bigger as they erode.

Tom

• Like 1

I also agree with Mike, that the quality of condensers currently being offered is questionable.  (So I've read).  I keep a spare in the ashtray, along with a set of points, in case they fail while I'm out and about.  Otherwise, I don't bother changing the condenser.  I've got a toolbox drawer with used condensers that still test-out within spec., so I won't be buying new ones anytime soon.  I'm especially fond of the ones that have GERMANY stamped in them.

I'll give you my dwell meter when you pry it from my cold dead hands.  :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks Tom

i set gaps to online feedback at .027-8. Ran ok. Then went to the book and saw factory at 024. Ran like stool. More online… pertronix/blue coil. Open the gap. Ran at .03. Very smooth. Currently trying .032 . Let’s see what tomorrow brings.