• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antenna issues

The Hirschman red tip antenna on my tii is stuck and won't budge.  I scored this new,  never installed Bosch antenna for cheap this morning.  The plan is to replace the Hirschman with the Bosch and work on getting the Hirschman unstuck while it's off the car.  Any tips on how to get an antenna unstuck?

20240309_115318.thumb.jpg.cddf1b16691754462d75fdde05eb8891.jpgResized_20240227_101350_1709054233770.thumb.jpeg.82d41220c06188b3b07447f779ec0e36.jpeg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Heat gun, maybe?  Shock can help too, like carefully tapping on it with a hammer between two flat pieces of wood.

My friend Charlie replaced his original antenna and it made a huge difference in radio reception.

Water comes out of mine, when I move it up and down.  It still moves smoothly though.

Tom

Work some of your favorite penetrating oil into the sections for a day of so then gently push and pull repeat as needed and it will come loose, then every year wipe it down with this cleaner.

Hirschmann Antenna Wipes AM FM And Tape Head Cleaner - Picture 1 of 5

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

You can remove the Hirshmann mast without disturbing the mount (same as the Bosch unit you just bought)...Heat it up with a heat gun--or if you're VERY careful--and very gently--with a propane torch.  Wear heavy gloves!  Then start working it back and forth--bet it'll come loose without a lot of trauma.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite