• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e30 Basketweaves

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed 100 times... I have read just about every thread (including stance thread and tire fitment thread) over the last two weeks but i'm getting pretty mixed responses. I have a set of 14inch basket weaves that I'm planning to mount on my 74. At the moment, my car's suspension is stock, but i'm planning to lower it in the future. Nothing crazy low, just the typical mods, probably Stage 1 springs and Bilstein shocks. Im looking at 195/60 14 and 185/60 14. I like the width of the 195 but I do not want to add spacers and I do not want any rubbing. Some people have said there is rubbing with the 195, others have said there is none. Does anyone have a definitive answer about this? If it rubs, I'll go with 185.

Thanks All - Sorry for starting another stance/tire/wheel thread

I have a '76 and have been running E30 Bus with 195/60-14s (General Altimax) for a few years.  I installed IE stage 1 springs about a year ago.  I mainly drive it by myself, ~170 pounds, occasionally someone is in the passenger's seat; I haven't had anyone in the back seat with these wheels.  I'm running Bilstein HDs f/r.  
With the stock springs (no spacer), I would occcasionally notice rubbing, mainly when going over a bump too fast.  I also noticed evidence of minor rubbing inside the front wheelwells (small area of paint rub.  With the IE springs, I haven't noticed any rubbing, but I do see some evidence inside the wheel wells.
With a different tire profile, a different load, different shocks, etc., etc. you might have different results.

185x60x14 no rubbing on eibach sports springs and bilsteins. Great wheel, just a pig to keep clean! There is a mob called kleen wheelz they made dust shields keeps most of the brake dust off of the wheel, I bought the very last set they had but they may be making them again?

IMG_1940.png

• Like 2

I ran E30 weaves for years on my former tii with 195/60 tires.  Tii had Bilstein sport shocks and Eibach springs.  It rubbed only while turning from a flat street on to a steep driveway.  I just learned to turn slower on to steep driveways.  

One thing that turned me off about basketweaves is the expensive  center caps,  they are now over $100 each at the dealer. Tire shops would break off tabs, had a couple stolen,  etc...  That caused me to go to these open lug basketweaves on my current tii. I do admit that basketweaves are seductively beautiful but such a bitch to keep clean.  There will soon be a power washer in your future. 

FB_IMG_1624041242281.thumb.jpg.f45602dff2da2f154c3fc233e6c07c11.jpg

• Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I do admit that basketweaves are seductively beautiful but such a bitch to keep clean. 

I've had very good results with Sonax wheel cleaner--spray it on, wait 'till it turns pink and hose it off.  Does a very thorough job on my E30's basketweaves with very little hand work. 

Also--BMW (and probably others) makes a nifty scrubbing brush that's long and skinny that's specifically for getting into all those basketweave crannies.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

OE is style 5. 6.5x14 et 30 and for x (4wd) et 45.

So shop for et 30 rims.

Aftermarket b/weaves may have other widhts & et’s.

Always look for markings or ask fotos of them. Of all of the rims being for sale.

Learned the hard way

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

There isn't a definitive answer.   

Because not all tires are created the same.

Even the same tire may change over time

as the manufacturer changes moulds and 

methods.  The 195 is marginal.  If you need 

certainty, the 185 is safe.

t

runs 205s

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks everyone, I think I'm convinced to go with the 185s. Smaller but safer bet. Going to refurbish the wheels this weekend and then should be ready for tires early next week. Will hopefully post some content on the refurb process if it goes well.

• Like 1