• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro turn signals to US '74 connection issue

I recently received some decent front turn signals from Germany. It has the lone spring loaded push-down wire connector. My '74 US model has two wires to to ports on the signal . I'm guessing on is a ground. How should I sent up these wires to the one hole connection Euro turn signal?

I don't see many relevant threads to this topic, but must be common.

euro-signal.png

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

The bulb in you car has dual filaments one for the marker filament and the other for the turn signal filament, both needing a feed wire.  Ground is thru the attachment screws to the fender.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

54 minutes ago, joebarthlow said:

My '74 US model has two wires to to ports on the signal . I'm guessing on is a ground.

Nope.  The unit is grounded through the two mounting screws.

One of those wires is for the running light and the other is for the turn signal.

Here's a thread that discusses the conversion.

• Thanks 1

lol- the trailer marker lights can be found at your nearby Walmart store.  I bought two, took them apart and modified the TS frame to attach the running light.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If you're using a two filament, two contact bulb for your modified front turn signal, the lower wattage filament (4 watts +/-) is for the parking light and the higher wattage (21) is for the turn signal.  Perhaps they've changed bulb numbers, but that's always been a 1157 bulb; the bulb in your post above appears to be a single filament (21 watt) bulb--what you'd use on your rear turn signals, brake lights, and backup lights.

Euro front turn signal assemblies are just that--turn signals only; no parking lights.  Those are built into the non-sealed beam headlights--a small (4 watt) bulb that's set in the reflector, just below the main headlight bulb.  US spec 02s were wired to use sealed beam headlights from the factory, so use either a small and large bulb (on early 02s with flat turn signals) or a single, two filament bulb on cars equipped with the "bulge" turn signals.  

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I followed Stevenc22's article and bought bulbs from Daniel Stern.  Very helpful writeup from Steven.   It works great.  Daniel recommended placing the adapter so that the side marker filament faces out.  It took a Dremel to get opening right for a nice and snug fit..  

• Like 1