• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instruments pegged or shorted when headlights on

Go to solution Solved by John76,

I just replaced all my instrument bulbs which are working but when I pull the headlight switch the fuel and temp gauge are pegged.  I added a ground to the gauge cluster but everything was working prior to that. I added the ground since I had the cluster removed and tried it both connected and disconnected with the same result. Also found the fuse instrument light blown but that has been replaced and the lights are working. Any ideas?

I will try that method as well. Also, the turn signal indicator light has stopped working. I switched out bulbs and no light. Turn signals are working but no indicator light. All were working prior to removing the dash.

Presume you used incandescent instrument cluster bulbs vs LED.  An LED in the turn signal flasher socket will make the flasher wonky and possibly not light the LED at all.  And an LED in the charge socket will prevent the alternator from charging your battery.  

There's a fix for the interior turn signal flasher not functioning.  I did a column on how to (hopefully) fix it (it's worked for me and others); PM me if you'd like a copy.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I used incandescent bulbs and they are all working. The signal flasher is working as well as the signal lights. Not sure why the headlights on peg the gauges but I will try grounding the cluster and checking the pins. Does anyone have a photo of the ignition switch wiring? 

16 hours ago, Fla2002 said:

Also, the turn signal indicator light has stopped working. 

5 hours ago, Fla2002 said:

The signal flasher is working as well as the signal lights.

From these two statements, I presume you mean the outside turn signal lights are working properly, but the repeater lamp in the cluster isn't.  I'm sending you the columnn I did on making that work properly.  And I'm sure John has one of his dandy wiring diagrams for the back side of the ignition switch. 

A handy thing to know about 2002 wiring (presuming it hasn't been boogered up by a PO):  solid color wires are always hot (don't go through the ignition switch); brown wires are always grounds.  Wires with tracer colors are switched so go on and off with the ignition .  And since emergency flashers must work whether the ignition is off or on, and the turn signals only with the ignition on, there are two sets of contacts inside the emergency flasher switch to allow this--why there are so many wires going to that switch.

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well you asked,

So I just installed electric power steering in my 02. I removed the steering column and sent it to EPowersteering for his conversion. When I removed the ignition wires I made a diagram and labeled the wires and took photos so I would reconnect them correctly. Well one thing led to another and the marker I used got smeared and the photos were upside down but everything is back in place. I was just looking for verification.

While the car was down I decided to remove the cluster and replace the instrument lights so that was another project. I have since grounded the cluster using the method that was shared in this conversation. My gauges are now working correctly but the signal indicator light is not working. My turn signal switch is shot and need to replace it. I believe this is causing the indicator light problem.

12 minutes ago, Fla2002 said:

My turn signal switch is shot and need to replace it.

Depending on what may be wrong with it (and the year of your car) it may be reparable.  Is the problem mechanical (lever won't stay in the on position, or return to the off position after the turn) or electrical?  

mike