• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever put round taillights on a square?

I am about to swap the rear panel on my 1974 so it will accept round tail lights and am wondering for those of you who have done it, what did you have to do to make the wiring work. Before I assume it is a simple swap I would love to hear your input. Thanks!

Other than the difference in how they plug into the housing there is no difference.  You should not have to lengthen the wires.  

• Thanks 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

BMW Mobile Tradition did it to create the “new” inka 2002tii. Note the knee trim holes in the quarter panel and the tail panel being cut for a Roundie panel.  One of the many magazine articles on this tii mentioned a suitable Roundie body couldn’t be located, so Mobile Tradition found a perfect Squarelight shell.  Conversion is much easier on European 2002’s since they didn’t have all the extra sheet metal like the US bound versions.

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2275.jpeg

IMG_2276.jpeg

Edited by jgerock
Added MT pics and details.
  • Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, lunarkingdom said:

I am about to swap the rear panel on my 1974 so it will accept round tail lights and am wondering for those of you who have done it, what did you have to do to make the wiring work. Before I assume it is a simple swap I would love to hear your input. Thanks!

and your reason for doing this is....................

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 02Les said:

and your reason for doing this is....................

I found an offer I could not refuse, a very nice 1974 body with major floor pan issues for a low price. I just finished the floor pan issues (see my other thread in this section of the forum) and want to proceed with building a 1969 style BMW 2002 on a budget with what I have. 

Edited by lunarkingdom
  • Like 3

As you probably already know, by changing the whole tail panel, you gain round lights and delete the bumper shock holes. As far as the nose, there is no easy mod. Changing the nose panel will solve everything, but it's a lot of work. But still, a late car bought cheap and replacing the panels is probably more gratifying than paying more for an early car.

I hereby grant you permission to proceed on your quest, after you bring me.....A shrubbery!

Edited by Furry Camel
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

In the VW world they do all sorts of swaps, I really like the “Cal look” it does mean swapping out certain panels but if it is rotten or cheap or damaged or because it’s yours why not!

I love them all round or square so who cares right…. we are still discussing lights right😜

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, lunarkingdom said:

Because I can? I actually do have a reason but why would you care so much about what I do to the car I own that I am putting my hard earned money into?

Not that it is any of your business but I found an offer I could not refuse, a very nice 1974 body with major floor pan issues for a low price. I just finished the floor pan issues (see my other thread in this section of the forum) and want to proceed with building a 1969 style BMW 2002 on a budget with what I have. I can not stand the plastic grill or the square taillights nor can I stomach the diving board bumpers so I am spending the extra work it is going to take and doing the changes to the front and rear that I want to do. I did not know I had to check with the 2002 community to get permission to do so.

I find it hard to believe that this actually bothers you, it feels more like you are trying to troll my post...

I certainly don’t think Les meant to judge you. Just asking why you want to do it.  Folks modify all kinds of cars every day as an expression of their creativity and desire to have something other than what they already have or want to have.

If you are changing a US Squarelight car to be more like a 69, the nose, tail and sides will need to be modified (no knee trim on a 69).

Good luck on your journey and start a project blog so we can watch your progress.

Jim

• Like 3

Jim Gerock

3 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

In the VW world they do all sorts of swaps, I really like the “Cal look” it does mean swapping out certain panels but if it is rotten or cheap or damaged or because it’s yours why not!

I love them all round or square so who cares right…. we are still discussing lights right😜

lol- have you seen a picture of the person lowering a VW Squareback (aka Variant) body onto a BMW i3 chassis???

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

12 hours ago, Preyupy said:

Other than the difference in how they plug into the housing there is no difference.  You should not have to lengthen the wires.  

And the existing license plate light wires can be rerouted thru an existing hole behind the bumper should a Euro style bumper with lights be used.  I did this for my 69.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

I certainly don’t think Les meant to judge you. Just asking why you want to do it.  Folks modify all kinds of cars every day as an expression of their creativity and desire to have something other than what they already have or want to have.

If you are changing a US Squarelight car to be more like a 69, the nose, tail and sides will need to be modified (no knee trim on a 69).

Good luck on your journey and start a project blog so we can watch your progress.

Jim

100% agree with Jim (and Les), I thought the same question when I read your post, out of curiosity only. How else would someone know other than asking. I'm personally at the stage of leaving a car as it was factory, but am totally cool with whatever anyone chooses to spend their time on. Their car, their time. Just curious.

There is near zero troll posts here, perhaps you are used to other boards. Good luck.

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

8 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

100% agree with Jim (and Les), I thought the same question when I read your post, out of curiosity only. How else would someone know other than asking. I'm personally at the stage of leaving a car as it was factory, but am totally cool with whatever anyone chooses to spend their time on. Their car, their time. Just curious.

There is near zero troll posts here, perhaps you are used to other boards. Good luck.

Agree... I'm not sure why he went off the deep end from someone simply asking why.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

10 hours ago, lunarkingdom said:

Because I can? I actually do have a reason but why would you care so much about what I do to the car I own that I am putting my hard earned money into?

Not that it is any of your business but I found an offer I could not refuse, a very nice 1974 body with major floor pan issues for a low price. I just finished the floor pan issues (see my other thread in this section of the forum) and want to proceed with building a 1969 style BMW 2002 on a budget with what I have. I can not stand the plastic grill or the square taillights nor can I stomach the diving board bumpers so I am spending the extra work it is going to take and doing the changes to the front and rear that I want to do. I did not know I had to check with the 2002 community to get permission to do so.

I find it hard to believe that this actually bothers you, it feels more like you are trying to troll my post...

dude...you need to chill, Les just asked a question...don't be such an asshole

• Thanks 3