• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for best 02 technicians in Portand, OR or the PNW.

PDX.Duke

Hello all!

This is my first post having just acquired my '70 2002 ("Alpina tribute"). I'm just getting my sleeves rolled up and making copious notes on the car and things that may need to be addressed mechanically as well as restoratively.

I'd be grateful to benefit from the deep experience of the community with referrals to qualified, seasoned, experienced and expert technicians in or near Portland, Or. or within the broader Pacific Northwest region (Seattle area?).

I'm sure I'll be becoming more active on this forum and will look forward to meeting some of you either virtually or in person someday.

Many thanks!

Doug 

🛞🛞🛞🛞

3:4 front right cropped.jpg

Edited by 02 Alpina Tribute
Typo corrections
  • Like 1

Doug           O==00==O

https://www.instagram.com/bmw2002alpina.tribute/

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the FAQ, glad to have you here. You will find many questions have been asked and answered numerous times before.  The articles section and the search function will yield a lot of great information.

There are a lot of FAQ members in the northwest and some great shops.  My personal favorite is Patrick of Midnight Motorsports in Seattle.  You'll find his name mentioned many times before.

Looks like you've picked up a great looking early 02 hotrod with lots of fun bits.  I really like the interior choices.  Despite the very cool engine bits, you'll find a number of us are rather skeptical about the HP claims.  However, at the end of the day it's got to be very very fun to drive.

Andrew

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the FAQ, glad to have you here. You will find many questions have been asked and answered numerous times before.  The articles section and the search function will yield a lot of great information.

There are a lot of FAQ members in the northwest and some great shops.  My personal favorite is Patrick of Midnight Motorsports in Seattle.  You'll find his name mentioned many times before.

Looks like you've picked up a great looking early 02 hotrod with lots of fun bits.  I really like the interior choices.  Despite the very cool engine bits, you'll find a number of us are rather skeptical about the HP claims.  However, at the end of the day it's got to be very very fun to drive.

Andrew

+1 Patrick at Midnight is great, you won’t be disappointed.

• Like 2

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

Well, there are a few good people in the Portland area, too, 

depending on what you need.

If Mike O'Hara's still open, he's good.

Hey Gordon, chime in here!

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 4 months later...
On 9/23/2023 at 5:19 PM, AceAndrew said:

Hi Doug,

Andrew

Andrew,

Sincere apologies for the very delayed reply. I've been so busy lately, and the weather so uninspiring from a get-the-car-out-of-garge-and-drive perspective, that I haven't been focusing on my little beast. Planning to change that soon.  

I really appreciate your having taken the time to share Patrick's info - I'll hunt him down!

I debated even including in my profile the HP stats given to me by the seller (a Dyno sheet was provided and all that), because yeah, numbers is just numbers and people like to throw them around a bit recklessly. I think I'll likely edit in a disclaimer at least.. 😉👍🏼

And yes, it is WICKED fun to drive!

Doug           O==00==O

On 9/24/2023 at 10:53 AM, TobyB said:

Well, there are a few good people in the Portland area, too, 

depending on what you need.

If Mike O'Hara's still open, he's good.

Hey Gordon, chime in here!

t

Thank for the referral! Sadly, Mike O'hara's is "closed permanently", since when I don't know.

Doug           O==00==O

Frank at FJC Import Repair has a ton of experience working on vintage BMW’s. Including e9’s and 2002s.

WWW.FJCIMPORTAUTOREPAIR.COM

We are a family-owned import auto repair shop specializing in BMW, VW, and Audi, with expertise in late-model vehicles. Contact us today!

• Like 1

John M (Formally JMinNJ)
73 2002 Malaga, 74 3.0cs Polaris 

67 NK 2000, 04 e46 330ci

Welcome to the FAQ!

The skinny is that Mike (O'hara) became ill or passed away but his partner, Craig was running the biz and is/was a fantastic wrencher. Sadly, Mike's sister took over the shop (April 2022), kicked Craig out, and liquidated the entire shop including parts, tools...you name it! I've heard good things about Boyd Motor Werks and Pacific Motorsport - both in Portland. 

best,
Mitch

• Like 1

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

I bought my car in Portland and it came with a folder full of receipts from Boyd. If it was a repair listed on a receipt, it failed on my drive home to Denver. Every single one, I shit you not. My improvised roadside repairs were longer lasting than theirs, which is sort of sad considering I’d never touched a 2002 before.  Hard pass on recommending them. 

edit: I love the Alpina tribute, that car is super cool. 😎

Edited by Lucky 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

I bought my car in Portland and it came with a folder full of receipts from Boyd. If it was a repair listed on a receipt, it failed on my drive home to Denver. Every single one, I shit you not. My improvised roadside repairs were longer lasting than theirs, which is sort of sad considering I’d never touched a 2002 before.  Hard pass on recommending them. 

edit: I love the Alpina tribute, that car is super cool. 😎

Sorry about your buying and driving home experiences. Can you elaborate on the failed repairs?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Gary Espeland was the former owner of Boyd Motor Werks, his son Eric is the new owner.  Gary is "working" from home and has many hard to find parts.  They did a complete rebuild of my 69 from engine to tranny - added an LSD, big brakes, twin DCOE's and I've hade Zero problems with my car.  Sorry to hear about Lucky7's experience.  

A longtime friend who just sold his shop in SoCal is now relocated to Toledo and he may be opening a new shop, I'll ask.  He did the complete mechanical job to our 74tii back in 2006/7.  Tii has been a dream.

There is a PNW2002 group on FB - run by Mike Savage - you'll be able to get some good tips about local shops/experiences from that page.  

I'm in Salem - hit me up if you need any help.!

Carlos...

• Like 2

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

15 hours ago, jgerock said:

Sorry about your buying and driving home experiences. Can you elaborate on the failed repairs?

Sure thing. Here’s the list that I remember:

-they had installed a rebuilt automatic and it shifted really poorly from the get go.  The kickdown cable was either loose or completely disconnected (sorry, I forget).  I adjusted the kickdown and fixed the issue. 

-they rebuilt and adjusted the Weber carburetor and I had a two-fold failure. The first was that the rotating throttle linkage rod was reinstalled without its locking pin. It would fall off the ball joint and I’d lose throttle control. I fixed that with a paperclip.  Second was the butterfly linkage assembly fell apart and one butterfly came completely unmoored and was flopping free.  That was a bigger problem that resulted in me completely rebuilding the top of the carb in the Little America parking lot. 

-minor, but they had a muffler repair line item and the muffler fell off. 

-this one pissed me off: they welded a broken alternator bracket and the weld failed before I even got out of Oregon.  I thought my trip was over when I saw that, but I managed to fix it. A bolt, nut, and two fender washers and I was able to clamp the broken ends together.  I pieced that sandwich together from rando parts off the shelf at a truck stop. That repair lasted years, I was proud of that one. 🤣

-they did a general tune up and safety check as prep for sale. When I got it, all four brake lines were visibly leaking, and both front lines failed completely within a month of purchase.  I probably shouldn’t have even done the road trip, because those brakes were a menace and barely worked. 

I was pleased with my roadside MacGyvering, but so many of my issues should have been solved when they “fixed” it. That shop left me with a bad taste in my mouth. That was 2017, so things may have changed, but my experience was poor.

Edited by Lucky 7
  • Like 1

I would add to Carlo's post. 

My experience was different that Lucky's too. 

Eric at Boyd's Motor Werks,  has worked very well for me. Put in my 123 and did a complete install of my Clardy AC.

I also eyeballed Carlo's car when it was there and they did an excellent job. Although I don't think Eric  needs it much, he does consult with his dad Gary and I know he has come into the shop to help out. 

Maybe not the fastest turnaround, they are doing a lot of routine  BMW maintenance and repair work  But they are a nice shop and nice people and that is rare these days. 

If I lived closer, I would of course check out Midnight Motors in Seattle.

Carlo's is no slouch!!  He knows his stuff. (I'll take a 10% commission on his work-tell him Vic sent you...😀)

Oregon lost its 2002 guru years back when Dave Lumbra passed away. That was tragic. 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

1 hour ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

I would add to Carlo's post. 

My experience was different that Lucky's too. 

Eric at Boyd's Motor Werks,  has worked very well for me. Put in my 123 and did a complete install of my Clardy AC.

I also eyeballed Carlo's car when it was there and they did an excellent job. Although I don't think Eric  needs it much, he does consult with his dad Gary and I know he has come into the shop to help out. 

Maybe not the fastest turnaround, they are doing a lot of routine  BMW maintenance and repair work  But they are a nice shop and nice people and that is rare these days. 

If I lived closer, I would of course check out Midnight Motors in Seattle.

Carlo's is no slouch!!  He knows his stuff. (I'll take a 10% commission on his work-tell him Vic sent you...😀)

Oregon lost its 2002 guru years back when Dave Lumbra passed away. That was tragic. 

Cheers! 

Lucky, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Boyd's but glad to hear about your mad Macgyver skills! It's hard to believe so many things went awry in such a short period of time! 

and, with regard to Dave Lumbra, my '72's M10 was rebuilt by him a few years before I bought it in Veneta (15 years ago) and it still runs like a champ! 

best,

Mitch

• Like 3

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid