• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Embarking on a year+ long U.S. road trip in my 02

toddfx

Lots of 2002'ers in the Pacific Northwest.  

Patrick at Midnight Motorsports ( @midnightmotorsport) is a 2002 wizard if you need assistance in the Seattle area. You could also here or to the PNW group for assistance while you are in the area. 

There is also usually a big BMW gathering in the Seattle area in the late May timeframe. A big group of 2002s usually show up. Here's 2023's: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/331242-bmws-and-burgers-may-21st/

Congratulations on the beginning of what should be an epic adventure. And those interior modifications are great!

I saw your car at Dune Coffee in Santa Barbara last Friday morning when I stepped in during my walk to work, wish I'd stopped to talk!

In case you missed it, my girlfriend and I just did a very compressed version of such a trip in our 2002tii, drove it to Alaska and back to SB. 8,900 miles in 18 days. It was absolutely amazing, but both of us need to be present at our jobs, so didn't have a lot of time to stop and smell the roses. See the link below.

We will be following along, don't hesitate with any long trip/old car questions, we have a lot of experience in such things :).

image.thumb.jpeg.bbce568cf453152509f63e036df964b8.jpeg

• Like 2

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

22 hours ago, FunElan said:

Todd, you're living out our collective dream. Had no idea you were making those modifications - extremely impressive! I'll be following alone. I'm using this as inspiration, when I sell a car, I want to do something similar. 

Thanks Matt, I've always wondered what the story is behind the "nomadic" portion of your IG handle, makes sense you're into that kind of lifestyle as well!

13 hours ago, Joesprocket said:

As somebody who lives the remote work lifestyle i'm enviously loving this and want to somehow follow along. Are you blogging here or do you have an Instagram handle?

When i put my interior back together I'm seriously considering deleting the rear seat. I think @esty even sells a carpet for such a mod. Originality aside, it's way more practical to leave room for camping and luggage gear. I never like keeping more than i had to in the trunk because contents coming out of it already wreaked of fumes. Something to consider with what you decide to keep in there.

Good luck out there!

Cool, yeah I'm @toddkay on Instagram. I definitely recommend the rear seat delete if you make any sort of daily use of the 02 and don't need to carry more than 1 passenger. This is what mine looked like initially, which was done really nicely by the previous owner Mike. I loved it and it worked great for many road trips, especially with the cargo net that was there as well. Just have to be careful about how much stuff you pile back there, if you plan to do any spirited driving! As for fumes in the trunk, yeah definitely a concern. Hoping the ballistic nylon duffle bags I had made will do well to protect my clothes at least. We'll see if my down sleeping bag starts smelling like fuel and exhaust.

PXL_20220516_204746336.thumb.jpg.8bf30f4d76e2b31d5407549e87daa07c.jpg

13 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Your idea of staying in one location for a month or so is a good one, as it will give you time to order/install parts if that becomes necessary.  And it'll give you an opportunity to meet and greet the local 02ers in your temporary location. 

Come next spring, move one of your work sites a little further east and you'll be within spittin' distance of Eureka Springs AR for the 2024 edition of Mid America 02Fest.  Go even further east and there's The Vintage near Asheville NC.

Cheers, safe travels...and have a ball (but don't forget to work!)

mike

Nice, I actually will eventually be making it through the midwest. I was born and raised in St. Louis, MO, spent 10 years in Chicago, and have family in Kansas City. At the conclusion of this leg of the journey, in November 2024 as currently planned, I intend to hunker down there through the winter and into the spring. So yeah, very well may see you there in the coming years, will keep you posted!

13 hours ago, PapaG said:

This is fantastic. Just fantastic. I will be following you.

The mods to your car are really nice. Love it all. 

Looks like you may already be on Scenic Route 12 in southern Utah, but, if not, you should do it. Lots of awesome things along the way, a fun and beautiful road. Aside from the obvious National Parks and Forests, don't miss the hike to Calf Creek Falls. 

Awesome, noted, thank you! Yeah I'll be camping one night near Bryce Canyon, then taking route 12 up to Arches.  Will plan on making a stop at Calf Creek Falls

13 hours ago, landon said:

Absolutely brilliant! 

Utah will still be pretty hot in August and early September. My favorite car camping spot with the 02 is Cowboy camp

near Canyonlands Island in the Sky. Don't venture too far off on dirt roads without knowing where you are going!

It will be a good time for the high country in CO. Kebler Pass is good dirt road on the way to Crested Butte for dispersed camping...alot of forest service campgrounds close around the 1st of September.  

New Castle CO is on the way to Ft Collins if you need anything...

Perfect, I am actually planning on trying to camp in Canyonlands one night, so yeah very good to know about Cowboy camp, thanks! And I've marked Kebler Pass on my map, as well as New Castle. Thank you!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TobyB said:

Just one suggestion- air springs.  Then you can adjust your (rear) attitude for loaded or unloaded travel.

I spent July in the E46: cross- county to western Ontario and then down to NYS.  So I'm not particularly jealous...

And I, too, have been wondering what the hell I'm doing- since about 1991...

t

Haha, right! On my previous road trips the tires were millimeters away from rubbing, so in preparation for this I went ahead and swapped from the thin upper spring pads to the thickest ones available. The rear end sits awkwardly high when empty, but I'm very glad I did that cus yeah it's still sitting a tad low, especially when the cooler is fully loaded.

12 hours ago, slowbert said:

Drop me a line when you get to Ft. Collins - I live in the area.  Happy to have you over for drinks or whatever.

Oh awesome, noted, thank you!

11 hours ago, aldo.navarro.13 said:

I'm impressed.

I've had my 02 for 1 1/2 years and the furthest I've driven the car is to Solvang, CA from my home in Los Angeles.

That pales in comparison to what you've done and will do.

Props.

I've been wanting to drive it to Monterey.

Keep going! It is a shame the coastal road to Monterey is still closed, I hope they can find a way to safely repair it and shore it up a little better. When it re-opens, jump on the opportunity. If you can make it to Solvang, you can make it to Monterey no problem

Love Canyonlands NP, it's smaller than Zion or Arches, but a lot more accessible.  If you can stay and camp in the park, you'll be camping in the orchards which is fun.  There are some good size deer that come through.  Also, the pies they make/sell at the little store in the part are really good.   

If you get the chance, Glacier NP's "Going to the Sun" road is awesome.... then drive down through Butte (richest hill on earth) and on to Bozeman.  In Bozeman, there's The Garage and The Pickle Barrel before swinging over to BigSky and down into Yellowstone.  Autoworks in Bozeman had BMW 2002 experience at one time.

Will be following!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, popovm said:

Lots of 2002'ers in the Pacific Northwest.  

Patrick at Midnight Motorsports ( @midnightmotorsport) is a 2002 wizard if you need assistance in the Seattle area. You could also here or to the PNW group for assistance while you are in the area. 

There is also usually a big BMW gathering in the Seattle area in the late May timeframe. A big group of 2002s usually show up. Here's 2023's: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/331242-bmws-and-burgers-may-21st/

Awesome, I've spoken to Patrick and crew, I run the aluminum radiator they produce. VERY good to know about the Seattle meet in late May. That timing is perfect, I will definitely be there, thank you!

2 hours ago, cda951 said:

Congratulations on the beginning of what should be an epic adventure. And those interior modifications are great!

I saw your car at Dune Coffee in Santa Barbara last Friday morning when I stepped in during my walk to work, wish I'd stopped to talk!

In case you missed it, my girlfriend and I just did a very compressed version of such a trip in our 2002tii, drove it to Alaska and back to SB. 8,900 miles in 18 days. It was absolutely amazing, but both of us need to be present at our jobs, so didn't have a lot of time to stop and smell the roses. See the link below.

We will be following along, don't hesitate with any long trip/old car questions, we have a lot of experience in such things :).

YES! I didn't catch it in real time, but I did just see some of your pics since then. Incredible, major props to you and the car. That is definitely a bucket list type of trip for me, and feel that I'm still building my way up to it. I'm gonna comb through your post again, and have also just followed you back on IG. Super inspirational, nice work. May very well hit you up, thank you

And hahaha wow yeah, small world and CRAZY timing for you to catch me pulling into Dune! That was a total random happenchance for me to be then and there at that moment. I randomly pulled off at an exit near there to use my phone, then decided to go ahead and grab (another) coffee while stopped before heading north up 154. Checked the map to see what was closest, and recognized the name Dune. Nitro cold brew was fantastic!

Edited by toddfx
  • Like 2

What an AWESOME trip! Gotta to say the shelving and storage looks fantastic. I have no need for it…but want it!!

As for your time in Colorado, I have plenty of suggestions.  Since you’re starting in FoCo from Utah, come over high north.  That’ll give you some amazing mountain option like steamboat, Rocky Mountain National, Estes park (during elk mating season, can’t go wrong. Elk everywhere).  But if you want a good windy road take Poudre canyon into FoCo, that’ll be enjoyable!  Then you can hit the other stuff on the way out and south.  

When you leave Colorado and go south ABSOLUTELY go south west into ouray.  It’ll be fall color change and million dollar highway is just amazing!  For both driving and sightseeing.  That area is called the Swiss alps of America, must visit. 

I’ve lived here my whole life and spend most of my free time in the outdoors. If you need any other recommendations while out here shoot me a pm and we can connect!!

Edited by DM46
  • Like 1

SHINY PAINT CAUSES STRESS! 

.... At least that's what I tell myself to avoid painting a car. 

If you make it to Austin Texas, just shout out and you can sync with the monthly meeting or just get support for anything!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

On 8/15/2023 at 10:50 PM, toddfx said:

Perfect, I am actually planning on trying to camp in Canyonlands one night,

The pro tip is to take Utah 128 out of Moab on your way east to Grand Junction.  Skips a good bit of I-70 and is absolutely beautiful.  And it entices you to do some 'spirited' driving.

Oh, and make sure you stop at every gas station when driving out West.  It may be a while before you see the next one...

Edited by slowbert
  • Like 1

When you get to Washington hopefully in the summer spend a night at the White River campground and before dawn on a clear night drive up to Sunrise view point you won't believe it when the sun comes up.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 8/15/2023 at 11:50 AM, slowbert said:

I just got to get my car running...

I can pick you up on the way- but just so you know, my car is a little loud, and the conversation with Jim will be focused on transient throttle tuning with the Haltech. But the root beer at A&W is pretty good...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Epic road trip.

Hit me up when you're planning the PNW section of your trip and again when you're up here.

So many options...

1. North Cascades loop

2. Drive around Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens

3. Olympic peninsula loop

4. San Juan islands

5. Vancouver and Victoria BC

6. Etc...

I coordinate the 02 folks for the May event that was referenced previously. More than happy to plan a separate drive event for when you're here. 

A couple suggestions for additional mods/gear: a hidden kill switch or immobilizer, and a viper car alarm. Your gear and car needs to be safe. Maybe an inflatable paddle board? You're going to be hitting some incredible places with lakes, rivers, etc. Getting out on the water is a great way to change things up and add a new dimension to your trip. Especially photography wise. 

And it goes without saying - sooooo jealous. 

Safe travels, 

James

• Like 4

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"