• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Wheel Stud Replacement and Spacers

Senna27

Now that I've installed longer lower control arms on the front, I was toying with the idea of adding 12 or 15mm spacers on the rear so the track is even, front and rear. I'm running 195/50R15 tires on 6" wheels with an ET29 offset. I had some washers that added up to 5mm that I tried as a test. There was still plenty of room. My fender lips are rolled and there's a fair fit of room so I think the either the 12 or 15mm spacers would work.

I'll need to replace the wheel studs with longer ones. How big a job is that? Makes sense to replace the bearings at the same time. The other question is how much do the rear wheels move in at the top, as the suspension compresses?

IMG-9760.JPG

IMG-9766.JPG

IMG-9774.JPG

IMG-9776.jpg

Edited by Senna27

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

• Senna27 changed the title to Rear Wheel Stud Replacement and Spacers

Well your right you'll have to remove the hub to change the studs and at that point yes redo the bearings on the rear axle if they haven't been done before.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Yea no biggie and those studs looks like they need to be replaced anyways.

How much rears tilts inwards? Well it depends. How much it has been lowered? How stiff are the springs? Remove spring, make plywood spacers, fit the wheel and jack it up to see if there is room.

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

I recently replaced my studs and had problems finding slightly longer studs. IE had much longer studs and I eventually had to go with those. I now need to cut them but I'm worried about ruining the threads. Moral: find replacement studs before going further.

• Like 2

engine small.jpg

4 hours ago, tzei said:

How much rears tilts inwards? Well it depends. How much it has been lowered? How stiff are the springs? Remove spring, make plywood spacers, fit the wheel and jack it up to see if there is room.

Yeah, that’s a good way to test it to see if it fits. I can machine a 12mm spacer out of aluminum and give it a shot. 

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

3 minutes ago, Georges said:

I recently replaced my studs and had problems finding slightly longer studs. IE had much longer studs and I eventually had to go with those. I now need to cut them but I'm worried about ruining the threads. Moral: find replacement studs before going further.

BluntTech has studs that are 20mm longer. I’m not sure if my lug nuts have 8mm of clearance. I can always machine 5-8mm off the end of the studs to be safe. 

• Like 1

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

4 hours ago, tzei said:

I thought the same thing when I took a photo of the studs. Good time to replace them.

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Once the axle nut is off, easy job. 

Set the hub on a vice and give each stud a smack with a hammer, should pop right out. 

Great tool to install new studs:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Impact on with (old lug nut) and finish with torque wrench. 

I used some Toyota studs I had from another project (M12 x 1.5 Thread High-Strength). Worked perfect front and rear. Got them at 4Wheel Parts for like $20 for 24 of them = great deal. 

Edited by RichenFamous
  • Like 2

Hmm, Toyota might work.  I, too, had a hard time finding 'somewhat' longer studs.

If your rear bearing parts come out looking decent, just a pair of new seals and a big glop of

synthetic grease, and tighten the HELL out of them, and you'll never have to look at them again.

As to how much the top of the tire rolls in?  From your picture, quite a bit.  But the rear subframe and trailing arms

move some with hard cornering IF you still have rubber bushings, so don't use up ALL of your clearance in one go.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I made a 12mm test spacer and installed it on the left rear. I then jacked up the right front to compress the suspension to check the clearance. Still a good gap so we’re good to go. Left rear with spacer, right rear without. 

IMG_9867.jpeg

IMG_9865.jpeg

IMG_9866.jpeg

Edited by Senna27

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

I recently used some 20mm Toyota studs, worked perfectly, they have the correct sized shoulder. Don't forget to check the torque on your wheels after the first spirited drive. Mine didn't shift after using an impact gun on the studs, but you never know.

Here's the French supplier - made in Japan by HKB. I'm sure you'll find them in the States somewhere.

WWW.DRIFTSHOP.FR

Goujon de Roue M12x1.5 - Toyota (Long, 62 mm), parfait pour remplacer un goujon cassé, endommagé par de nombreux montages et démontages, ou simplement usé par le temps.

• Like 2

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

4 hours ago, NickVyse said:

I recently used some 20mm Toyota studs, worked perfectly, they have the correct sized shoulder. Don't forget to check the torque on your wheels after the first spirited drive. Mine didn't shift after using an impact gun on the studs, but you never know.

Here's the French supplier - made in Japan by HKB. I'm sure you'll find them in the States somewhere.

WWW.DRIFTSHOP.FR

Goujon de Roue M12x1.5 - Toyota (Long, 62 mm), parfait pour remplacer un goujon cassé, endommagé par de nombreux montages et démontages, ou simplement usé par le temps.

BluntTech sourced some studs for me. They’re 20mm longer which should do the trick. I always check the torque my wheels to be safe. Especially after I install new studs. 

2010 Toyota Matrix XR