• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 - Fog Lamp / Low Beam Wire Diagram Green Console Switch

Hi, Im getting ready to add my fog lamps to my 73, and want have them on a green switch in the console, that only will come on and off with low beams. I have been doing a good amount of reading, and searching on the site, and have found some amazing articles. Basicly, im hoping I could get conformation on the below diagram, as I start my journey. I want to eventually also update the high/low relays, but need to do a little more research on the FAQ article before, as I done have a high relay as it is. 

Also trying to keep a close to stock color on my wires, (haven't been able to find striped ones at a cheap enough cost). I was going to use either green or purple for the lights. Would love anyones input just to double check my reading / wiring diagram. 

The image was a combination of a few peoples drawings on the site, so all the credit goes to:  AustrianVespaGuy, SteveJ, and the others who know what they are talking about more than I.

wiring.png

Hi Matthew,

The relay in your diagram shows a 87a terminal. Is this correct?

If so, this is the wrong relay to use. You need a relay with (preferably) 2 #87 tabs.

Will your green button light up when the fogs are turned on?

Here's a sketch of how I did mine with a green indicator lamp on a fog light switch from a 530i.

Hope it helps.

FogLightWiring.thumb.jpg.579af9feea9a571abd448ed1ea9ea115.jpg

Ok that might be my issue. I did see your drawing, and downloaded it and tried to copy it, but then my relay was different, so that is maybe my issue. I have not actually started yet, was looking for advice just before doing it.  

It will not light up, it is the green button from the original fog lights. And for the #9 wire, you took it from inside the car I am assuming?

3 hours ago, John76 said:

If so, this is the wrong relay to use. You need a relay with (preferably) 2 #87 tabs.

I was wrong thinking 87a is same as 87

Bosch Relay.jpg

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 hours ago, matthewjacob said:

And for the #9 wire, you took it from inside the car I am assuming?

No,

I ran a wire from the fused side of #9 through a rubber grommet on the firewall to my fog light switch. 

Since your switch does not light up, you can wire the #9 fuse directly to the #86 tab on the relay. Then you can run a ground wire (brown) from the #85 tab through your on/off switch to a convenient ground point under the dash.

This will allow your fog lights to come on with the low-beam headlights and go off when the high beams are on.

John

Were it mine, I'd wire the fog lights so that they would come on when the parking/tail lights were lit.  That way, and especially with an unlit switch, you won't accidentally leave 'em on.  

If you're using fog lights for actual fog, then having them on with the low beams kinda defeats the purpose of fog lights, which are low mounted and have a sharply cut off beam so as not to provide back scatter/dazzle from the fog.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 hours ago, matthewjacob said:

the green button from the original fog lights

FWIW, the original green button on mine is a dummy. (no electrical connections). Check yours beforehand to see it’s a working button…

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

13 hours ago, Mike Self said:

If you're using fog lights for actual fog,

The term fog lights has become universal (like the brand Kleenex) to refer all driving lights, if they are true fog lights wire with the low beams or independently to run when the fog is real bad, Mikes idea of wiring to the parking light position Is great. If they are driving lights I would wire them to both the low and hi beams, pencil beams wire to the hi beams.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

52 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

If they are driving lights I would wire them to both the low and hi beams, pencil beams wire to the hi beams.

For driving lights (long range, vs anti-dazzle for fog lights), I use a single pole double throw switch.  With the switch in its center position, the driving lights are always off.  Switched in one direction, they go on with the high beams; in the other direction, they go on independently of all other lights.  Handy if you have a headlight circuit failure...at least you'll have some lights.  Easy to wire:  the center terminal goes to the trigger wire on the relay; one side terminal goes to the high beam terminal on the dimmer switch, and the other goes to a fused (one of the 16 amp fuses, like for the cigarette lighter or heater blower) terminal that's hot only with the ignition on.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you for all the reply’s. It’s true, I said fog but will use them more as driving lights. I would like to use them with low beams but also switched with the original factory style 3 prong green switch already have. So that I can turn them off and on. Anyone point me to a good wiring diagram for that, as most I have seen are to run as driving lights, but without a switch. Or should I just follow john76 diagram? Just a better visual person if anyone has one. 

Thanks again for the info. I’m still learning. 

23 hours ago, matthewjacob said:

I said fog but will use them more as driving lights.

Driving lights are totally different from fog lights. They (should) work with the Hi Beams only as opposed to fog lights working with the low beams. Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion to wire front fog lights to the parking lights. If you have a rear (red) fog light, then the correct wiring is to the parking lights via the 3-pole connector under the dash (near the hood release).

Here's a sketch of the driving lights wiring (using the connector near the left headlight above the battery). Driving lights should be mounted above the front bumper. Fog lights mount low under the bumper. Rear fog light sketch also included for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers,

John

BMWDrivingLights.thumb.jpg.4c8e7d9cfdc040eb0b942bb63a758fc2.jpg

RearFogLight.thumb.jpg.d22aa8b0b30813db77f62016a757eb82.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question to the people with roundie cars (meaning no dummy switch on the dash) and front fog lights and rear red fog light.

There is place for only one fog light button - on the ash tray next to the warning lights button with replacing the green fake button. But for front and rear fog lights you need two buttons. What are the options here? I can think of only two options:

1. Use one button for both front and rear fog lights

2. Use the button for the rear fog light only and just put driving lights instead of fog lights which to be activated with the high beams :)

Other options?

Edited by pehlivanov_tii

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof