• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference in Shape Between early 2002 and 1602 Bumper?

Birdie
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

I am planning to retrofit chrome bumper on to my '76.

Got my hands of a very nice chrome bumper which unbeknownst to me turned out to be from a 1602.

When I hold it up to my car and align the slotted side flanged bolt connection to the area where it will be attached to the fender, it sticks out quite a ways from the front nose area.

Were 1602 and 2002 cars shaped differently and therefore, the bumpers are shaped differently?

No they were all the same bodys, even though the front center panel and the rear panel are differant on the square light cars the fenders are the same. the carriage bolt will pull the wings in a bit. Pleanty of threads on the convertion to early bumpers.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

thanks @Son of Marty. to clarify the sides seems to line up well. however, it is the center nose area of the bumper that seems very far from the center nose of the car. it is a very big gap. 

and yes.. so many threads on the conversion. I am in possession of a Bluntech kit and was ready to go until... "huh, that sure seems like a big gap between the center of the bumper and the center panel (below the grill)..."

Edited by Birdie

Here’s the front bumper gap on my ‘73. U.S. 1973 model year cars have their front and rear bumpers extending an extra inch, to comply with the 1973-only 2 1/2 mph bumper standards.

I’m nowhere near the ‘73 currently, to measure it, but even if you subtract an inch from this space, it’s sizable. Remember, you want the bumper to hit well before your hood hits! 

Regards,

Steve

IMG_4549.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• Solution

On my '73, with its original front bumper and brackets, the measurement between the nose sheet metal directly below the center grille and the trailing edge of the bumper blade is 4 inches.  I'm sure someone with a '68-72 car can provide the same measurement to compare.

When seen side by side, the additional protrusion on the 73s is quite noticeable--but provides more room for big driving lights!

Also, the 73 (only) US bumper brackets are much heavier steel and are Y shaped and welded up, while the earlier brackets are L shaped and much thinner.  

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

21 hours ago, Conserv said:

1973-only 2 1/2 mph bumper standards.

Interesting about the '73 bumper before the transition to the 5mph '74 - '76 shock-mounted design. Thanks Steve!

Had to go measure the gap on my D-Board (big-bumper '76).

4 1/4" from paint to rear edge of aluminum ... original front end and bumper (never crashed, damaged or repaired).

If I hit a wall at 2 1/2 mph ... would the gap narrow to 2 1/8" and "stick"???

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1