• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle tan color match question

fsf517

I recently purchased door panels from ebay.  I have not yet installed them, but they look nice.  I am aware of the saddle tan color match situation somewhat.  I plan to order seats from GTS Sport S seats, and then for the rear I like the look of the zoomzoom horizontal pleated seat covers also on Ebay.  

The door panels I purchased are off color from the original rears.  I can live with that.  But I dread the thought of seats not matching the front new panels. Introducing a 3rd brown color. Has anyone purchased these panels and matched the seat colors?  The last pic of 2 rear seats I pulled off FAQ history, my interior originally is similar to the one on the right.  Later saddle. Fred

IMG_1314.png

IMG_1313.png

IMG_1329.png

Thanks for the reality check. Yeah , looking that way. im almost ready to scrap the whole saddle up plan and go with black.  But then I would be stuck with that lovely tan carpet I purchased from you, along with these door panels, in which I have several hundred invested in combined.  Black seats and tan interior ?  nah. going to ask for color samples before proceeding. 

Do those Saddle door panels have the chrome strips on the top edge?   The black versions they sell on eBay appear to have the chrome top strip installed, but I can't tell from pictures that the Saddle versions have those top chrome strips.  I have the same concerns with the mix and match saddle interior issues you are experiencing with my Nevada car.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Yes they have brand new top chrome with the window squeegee thing.  along with the lock pull grommet.  They appear to be a good fit although I didn’t install them because half my old clips are broken.  I Ordered clips. Search ebay . about $360 for both.  I was not confident enough to recover my old bent warped ones.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark92131 said:

I have the same concerns with the mix and match saddle interior issues you are experiencing with my Nevada car.

A Nevada car would (originally) have had the early saddle/caramel upholstery--see the side-by-side pictures above.  The early stuff is the mottled, slightly darker color in the closeup.  About the time they did away with Nevada in favor of Sahara on 2002s, they changed the saddle color to the later one.  The later color, BTW gets more of an orange tint as it ages.

Of course over the years your earlier car may have acquired interior bits from a later one...and I do know there are some early 72 cars painted Nevada with chrome seat recliners--neither of which are "supposed" to exist.  It was undoubtedly the factory "using up parts"--for which they were famous.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

31 minutes ago, esty said:

fwiw, with the lighting or lack thereof in the car...and all pieces being in different locations, it's unlikely it will be noticeable...personally, i'd take that chance rather than being stuck with a black interior

I trust your judgement , being as though interiors seem to your thing.  I suppose I will ask the front seat company to  send a sample and then I will forward that to the back seat builder.  and hopefully give it our best.  The car will be a one off in terms of colors. Pastel blue 74 which I changed from sahara, with saddle-ish inside.  Along with some 14” E 30 steelies from blunt. 🙏 

IMG_1103.jpeg

IMG_0365.jpeg

70683118375__35234D38-1B85-43AF-8CD8-78201D43A27D.jpeg

If you can snip off a little piece of material from the back side you can send to Stephan at Classic Car Seats and he can match to closest available from a wide selection of  special order german vinyl. Can also emboss/perforate the vinyl to match.

Thats what I did. Leather I'm not sure about.

Custom matched and embossed vinyl is extra over base price of black seats, quite a bit more so prepare yourself.

Also And this is important,

The stock seat back hinge set up does not allow the seats to tilt forward enough to allow access to the back seat!

Hinged tilting seat mounts must be used or an alternate style of modified hinge can be requested.

Again, these options cost additional $$$

Another option I choose was the slightly wider "comfort" option, the wider option will fit an 02 but limits seat forward travel a bit, especially if you have a long center console.

I love my Sport S seats from Classic, they are premium seats and  when customized, carry a premium price tag! Prepare yourself.

Lastly, dont be in a hurry, mine took almost six months to arrive, this was during Covid so maybe thats better now.

Blacks not lookin so bad now maybe?

Oh yeah, that base price does not include headrests, 3 different styles are available to purchase, more $$$$

buckskin.jpg

IMG_2813.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_2814.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

your seats look fantastic.  I see you have the vertical pleats.  Thank you for the heads up.   about the  sticker shock..  Seating is spendy all around.  Just the price of 4 stock seat cushions and both covers are enough to say wow.  Enough to justify the price of these plug n play GTS seats.  Thank you for sharing, your interior is beautiful.. Did you also do the rear seat?  I have been very curious to see a post such as yours.. not much out there in terms of these seats in our cars.. I love them. 

47 minutes ago, tech71 said:

If you can snip off a little piece of material from the back side you can send to Stephan at Classic Car Seats and he can match to closest available from a wide selection of  special order german vinyl. Can also emboss the vinyl to match.

Thats what I did. Leather I'm not sure about.

Custom matched and embossed vinyl is extra over base price of black seats, quite a bit more so prepare yourself.

Also And this is important,

The stock seat back hinge set up does not allow the seats to tilt forward enough to allow access to the back seat!

Hinged tilting seat mounts must be used or an alternate style of modified hinge can be requested.

Again, these options cost additional $$$

Another option I choose was the slightly wider "comfort" option, the wider option will fit an 02 but limits seat forward travel a bit, especially if you have a long center console.

I love my Sport S seats from Classic, they are premium seats and  when customized, carry a premium price tag! Prepare yourself.

Lastly, dont be in a hurry, mine took almost six months to arrive, this was during Covid so maybe thats better now.

Blacks not lookin so bad now maybe?

Oh yeah, that base price does not include headrests, 3 different styles are available to purchase, more $$$$

buckskin.jpg

IMG_2813.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_2814.JPG

50 minutes ago, fsf517 said:

your seats look fantastic.  I see you have the vertical pleats.  Thank you for the heads up.   about the  sticker shock..  Seating is spendy all around.  Just the price of 4 stock seat cushions and both covers are enough to say wow.  Enough to justify the price of these plug n play GTS seats.  Thank you for sharing, your interior is beautiful.. Did you also do the rear seat?  I have been very curious to see a post such as yours.. not much out there in terms of these seats in our cars.. I love them. 

I have the GTS Classics Sports Seats S “comfort” front units in my 69, plus their matching rear seat covers. Esty carpet set and Coco mats. 

20161210_163021_Original.jpeg

20180525_155255_Original.jpeg

20170917_121144_Original.jpeg

• Like 3

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

A Nevada car would (originally) have had the early saddle/caramel upholstery--see the side-by-side pictures above.

My car had most of the original interior removed before I acquired it.  Over the years I have pieced together a "matching" set of the darker saddle interior pieces, including a "new" set of front seats with chrome recliners that @FunElan's dad removed from his brand new Tii and replaced with Recaros.

Mark92131

49380941106_5e26ffeef2_k.jpg

49380940981_e5195992de_k.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)