• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my fuel pump shot??

NonStopTy

7 minutes ago, Hans said:

I'd  replace that gasket. May be worth cleaning jets while its off.

and check the float and seat if you're going to go in it. 

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

30 minutes ago, OldRoller said:

and check the float and seat if you're going to go in it. 

So maybe get rebuild kit with new gaskets, etc. Anothet few hours work while its off.

Edited by Hans
Typo
  • Like 1

With that much fuel in the mani you really need to check you float level and needle and seat. At this point will it fire on starting fluid?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

4 hours ago, OldRoller said:

Flooded... stick paper towels/rags in the intake, clean out the old fuel sitting in the manifold. Remove the plugs, let her air out for a bit and turn it over a few times. Reinstall the plugs, the carb and try to start it, no pumping of the pedal, just close the choke.  

You may coax it to life!

Thank you!! Will do!! 

1 hour ago, Hans said:

I'd  replace that gasket. May be worth cleaning jets while its off.

For sure already ordered another one, thanks! 

Is there a thread for removal and cleaning the jets?? 
 I found one but the link was bad and no longer existed. 

12 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

With that much fuel in the mani you really need to check you float level and needle and seat. At this point will it fire on starting fluid?

No still didn’t run. 
I did get a large explosion tho. Went boom, lots of debris fell off the engine onto the floor.

Sounds like she really wants to start just missing something minor.  

On 6/23/2023 at 5:09 AM, NonStopTy said:

I just picked this car up trying to get her started. 

On 6/23/2023 at 5:09 AM, NonStopTy said:

My goal is to sell it ASAP.

Bummer your car flipping adventure isn't working out quite how you had hoped🙄

A loud boom huh? from where? exhaust or out out the carb? 

Sounds to me like your timing may be off..way off. 

Time to check if your distributor is correctly installed in relation to engine timing, it could be 180 degrees out.

Someone else here will no doubt be willing to spoon feed you on how to accomplish this.😁

Stop making assumptions, flailing around and throwing parts and cash at it, it's undercutting your profit margin and/or increasing end buyers cost, figure out why it wont start.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

That open port above the idle mixture screw in your picture needs to be capped or connected to the advance pod on your distributor.  With that much gas in the bottom of your intake, some of it may have found its way into your exhaust.  Still sounds like a timing issue.  Did you complete the timing check list I provided?  Compression?  If you have a couple of dead holes, it won't fire.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 7/8/2023 at 11:12 PM, Hans said:

Searcj for your carb model on youtube.

OK found that video. I figured out how to take it apart, that’s not a problem I just need the right gasket to reinstall…

Does anybody have the right part number??

Is it stamped on the side?? 

I can’t find just the gasket online to buy….

Pierce Manifolds is a great source for Weber carb parts.  You have a 32/36 DGEV, the E referring to your Electric choke.  The DGAV is a water choke, A for Agua.  They sell an extra-thick base gasket, which will be fine. 

99005.068T-2T.jpg
WWW.PIERCEMANIFOLDS.COM

BASE MOUNTING GASKET FOR WEBER 32/36 CARBURETOR 99005.068

Here is their exploded view of your carbs and a list of all the parts and pieces.

WWW.PIERCEMANIFOLDS.COM

Weber carburetor,Intake Manifolds, Conversion Kits, Air Filters, Linkages,Everything you need for your new or vintage ride!

Searching Google for Weber DGV base gasket brings up a lot of other options.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:11 AM, Hans said:

Did you not get an entire rebuild kit? It would have all the gaskets if you've got it apart...

No just the main gasket! 

I will rebuild if it doesn’t start after this….

On 7/10/2023 at 7:58 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Pierce Manifolds is a great source for Weber carb parts.  You have a 32/36 DGEV, the E referring to your Electric choke.  The DGAV is a water choke, A for Agua.  They sell an extra-thick base gasket, which will be fine. 

99005.068T-2T.jpg
WWW.PIERCEMANIFOLDS.COM

BASE MOUNTING GASKET FOR WEBER 32/36 CARBURETOR 99005.068

Here is their exploded view of your carbs and a list of all the parts and pieces.

WWW.PIERCEMANIFOLDS.COM

Weber carburetor,Intake Manifolds, Conversion Kits, Air Filters, Linkages,Everything you need for your new or vintage ride!

Searching Google for Weber DGV base gasket brings up a lot of other options.

so I busted this wire going to the carb….

Looking at the diagram I think it’s the auto choke screw?? Or maybe im

reading backwards…

I was trying to back out the screw to get the wire off to take the carb out to clean it up. Thing was so brittle it snapped IMG_4512.thumb.jpeg.f2bc16f2ee8ee001632bcdec9b090125.jpegalso is there an easier way to bolt it back to the intake manifold?? 
these screws are almost impossible to get to as is. 

thanks for tour help guys!! IMG_4513.thumb.jpeg.cd27fcece891418497ea58acfc390687.jpeg

27 minutes ago, NonStopTy said:

Is there an easier way to bolt it back to the intake manifold?? 
these screws are almost impossible to get to as is. 

thanks for tour help guys!! IMG_4513.thumb.jpeg.cd27fcece891418497ea58acfc390687.jpeg

Those are not screws, they're nuts. :)  Nyloc nuts, from the look of it.  The loc-ing feature makes them harder to spin and your studs are longer than they need to be, which means even more slow spinning.  If you use a regular nut, you can spin them all the way down with your finger and then use a wrench to tighten them the last little bit.