• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Shaft Play

Go to solution Solved by Chris_B,

• Solution

There is a bearing at the top of the steering shaft (spindle bearing?). One part no. is 32-31-1-150-054, but there are two different bearings. One of them appears to be unique to the 02, but this one is common to later models. I don't have the part no. for the earlier version.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

2 hours ago, tzei said:

I think  that’s pretty normal (wear). I bet you wont notice it when all assembled and driving.

Unfortunately I noticed it on a test drive.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

4 hours ago, bergie33 said:

Did you order the part number listed above? I don't see that part number listed for the 2002, only for the e21 and newer. The one I see for the 2002 is 32311107627, and is pretty expensive. 

In my recent experience with this, the shop (apparently not being very Internet savvy) thought the required part was 32311107627. They couldn't find one in the US (likely only checked the BMW parts system), so ordered one from Germany. 3 weeks later it arrived and wasn't the right part. The right part was the inexpensive 32-31-1-150-054, used in the 02 (mine is a '73) and other models of the same vintage (E3/9, etc). For some reason, this part no. doesn't show as applicable to the 02. Go figure.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

For the record, looking at the pictures. The expensive 2002 bearing is the WRONG bearing. The E21 bearing is clearly the correct bearing for my vehicle. Thanks guys.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.