• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early and late left motor mount

Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

So getting ready to instal the motor in my 69 project car and there appears to be an early left side motor mount and a later model that looks to be more robust The later model has a pin that  sets in the frame bracket near the bolt

My 69 frame has no such hole for the pin

and my first inclination is to drill one and use the later model mount which I have on hand

Is this a common practice that is recommended ?305DAFCA-75C4-4A73-9081-49246D23227B.thumb.jpeg.ede6657539c15bd5ec89653a1fc0ac1b.jpeg68B2F582-9ADE-4DFD-9056-9E073EE62357.thumb.jpeg.c4aef30a4c022853904add5250d323ca.jpeg

• Solution

When assembled to the mount the pin will be inline with the slot in the bracket no hole needed.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, rstclark said:

a later model that looks to be more robust

It also has the steel strap over the top that keeps the engine from rolling over if the rubber would break.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

While you're at it...if your '69 has its original right (pax side) motor mount, suggest changing the mount and bracket for the later style one.  Those early cars have a right motor mount bracket that's a single piece of formed steel; it will eventually stress crack and cause the motor to gradually drop down on that side till the air cleaner hits the hood (yep, it happened to my '69).  

Check that bracket; if it's that early style, even if it isn't cracked, replace with the later welded up bracket--much sturdier and has a retainer flange to prevent the motor from shifting if the rubber mount breaks.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When I installed my S14 into the front subframe, I originally used the square driver's side motor mount.  The weight of the motor and trans when not supported seemed to twist this motor mount at the top.  I swapped it out for the round one and the motor and trans would sit in the subframe without twisting.  Unfortunately, viewing the pictures, I realized that I installed the metal cup backward with the metal top facing the subframe support.  Just one more task in a sea of endless tasks.

Also make sure that the stud fits on the driver's side subframe support will seat at the bottom of the slot.  I welded in the IE  bracket on the driver's side subframe support and it was preventing the stud from seating all the way down.  A little work with a file fixed this issue.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)