• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 BMW 1602 won’t idle

rtgorham
Go to solution Solved by rtgorham,

Hi, all of a sudden yesterday the car kept stalling every time I take my foot off the gas, like when slowing for a stop light, and it won’t idle. The L warning light goes on each time it stalls. It starts up again each time with no problem. I’ve been told The points are worn. Could that be the problem? I’m new to this forum and not a lot of mechanical knowledge. Thank!

Bet it's a plugged idle jet

Remove, blow it and its orifice out with carb cleaner and reinstall.

mike 

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

To check for idle jet solenoid operation, turn on the ignition, then disconnect the wire.  You should hear a click.  No click = no idle.

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Solution

Happy to report I was able to figure it out. The throttle connection to the carb was really loose. The throttle adjustment screw wasn’t even touching the prong. It was obviously not tightened up properly months ago when I had some work done it because I noticed then that the choke wasn’t as effective afterwards, but the car was running much better overall so I didn’t pay much attention. It must have finally loosened up enough over time that it began stalling. Something so simple.  Thanks again for all the feedback. Pic of our baby.2EAD9577-5ABA-4556-91CA-FEB85C0EB51B.thumb.jpeg.cd13c92e2659e5f2650eb6854f85fd07.jpeg

• Like 6