• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken Turn Signal Stalk

The turn signal stalk completely fell apart on me today while I signaling (right side signal stalk on '72).

Upon further inspection, looks like the metal rod that holds the stalk to the metal housing broke, and a couple of the tiny springs shot out.

Shot in the dark here, but does anyone have a diagram of where all the little pieces go or experience putting this back together? I can figure out the spring that connects the swinging pieces together, but I found a heavier spring that I can't quite figure out.

IMG_5844.thumb.JPG.8fb35bc6c4a69d3c13b4ed5d38f53d8b.JPG

image.thumb.jpeg.ecb9d8912894694f1997f197856ef6d7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d69bf7e4c9d7c91311f44dc48306a234.jpeg

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

Can I interchange part 61311352636 in lieu this one?

It's the same thing except it doesn't have the center pin; my center pin wire isn't even hooked up.

The reason I ask those are easy to find on ebay, as opposed to my exact model.

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

It's been decades since I was inside one of those, but I think the heavier spring mates with the "V" in the 3rd picture against the flat surface of the part that moves.... It provides the tension to keep the stalk at its limit.

I've always liked the right side stalk.

In the interim, old guys like me would recommend you roll down your window; stick out your left arm and point to the left for a left turn or hold it skyward for a right turn. How retro!.....works every time.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

It's been decades since I was inside one of those, but I think the heavier spring mates with the "V" in the 3rd picture against the flat surface of the part that moves.... It provides the tension to keep the stalk at its limit.

I've always liked the right side stalk.

In the interim, old guys like me would recommend you roll down your window; stick out your left arm and point to the left for a left turn or hold it skyward for a right turn. How retro!.....works every time.😀

Not sure anyone still knows how to hand signal or what they mean.

I believe that one finger is universal too! lol

Alright I think I figured this out, I can use part 61311352636, which is basically the same stalk as mine, just without the center pin, which controls the buzzer for the seatbelt. If I want, apparently I can just transfer that buzzer wire.

I'll pick one up off ebay and confirm if it works, here, for future reference.

Edited by 72MetallicMalaga
  • Like 1

Since that stalk also controls your wipers, I'd save the broken one in case you need the wiper switch pieces that lurk inside the knob on the stalk's end...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Alright, yeah I confirmed, part #61311352636 works. I just switched over that center pin.

I did some research, and there were a few variations on this stalk, so I think the center pin ones have that same part number too, which was why I was confused.

FWIW, there's a used on on eBay for $200 and a NOS one for $470.