• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road & Track says .......

The Inka 2002 pictured in the R&T story is none other than the car Mobile Tradition built from scratch in 2005/6.  It's a tii built around a leftover (new) body shell that came from a dealership in Germany, with everything else sourced from Mobile Tradition's available (at least at the time!) parts bins, either new or remanufactured (engine, tranny, diff, driveshaft) and available through M.T.

I got to drive it in 2006, and...it drove like a new tii.  Great whacking fun.

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It's a tii built around a leftover (new) body shell that came from a dealership in Germany, with everything else sourced from Mobile Tradition's available (at least at the time!) parts bins, and then finding all the other stuff from dealers,  the aftermarket, secondhand breakers, and actually making a few parts from scratch. 

In 2005, Mobile Tradition had maybe 35% of a 2002 (almost no tii stuff)

in their catalog, with wait times

up to a year for some 'in stock' parts.  Everything from the license plate light bases

to tii pistons to bumper parts were unobtainium from MT that year.   I remember being 

really cheezed at the ad's implication that you could, even with $200,000, buy all the 

parts to make a whole car when I couldn't even get 8 rocker arms without voids.

Or license plate light bases.  

t

stopped daily driving a 2002 in about 2012.  It got uncomfortable around here.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 3/2/2023 at 7:49 AM, jb said:

Nope.  Slide 10.   I need to put my wheel covers back on....

jb

The plastic wheel covers only came on the 91 E30 318i sedan.  I've got four covers and three 14X5.5 steel wheels along with a lead where to pick up the last steelie close to me.

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

The covers were the giveaway it's a 318i.  I thought I was the last person rockin e30 steelies on an e30....

20 hours ago, Gordon said:

The plastic wheel covers only came on the 91 E30 318i sedan.  I've got four covers and three 14X5.5 steel wheels along with a lead where to pick up the last steelie close to me.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:24 PM, Gordon said:

Those plastic hubcaps + steel wheels + Hakkapellittas + sandbag in the trunk where my winter setup in Canada with my 318is.