• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ernie The 2002 - A slow restoration

ErnieThe02

Well, the seatbelts are in and I don't mind Detroit Blue.   Oddly, it's a nice mid-point between the blue/silver exterior and the Marine Blue interior.

Got the clutch pedal adjusted so it sits even with the brake pedal (it sat 3 inches proud of the brake pedal).   My assumption is that the PO moved it out hoping it would give more clutch travel when in fact it was a bad clutch slave which I've replaced.

I'm now neck deep into learning carb tuning.   Lots of threads read and lots of youtube videos watched.   Timing, rich/lean, fast idle and curb idle.   Knee bone is connected to the thigh bone etc etc etc.   Getting closer every day with small adjustments.    Much easier to adjust the fast idle settings once you pull out the idle jet (and much nicer that it starts out at 1800 RPM and slowly moved up north of 2000 on cold start vs the 3500 it was set at previously).   

ernie clutch adjustment.jpg

ernie seatbelts.jpg

1974 2002-  Ernie

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - Burt

• 2 weeks later...

Tail lamp refresh day

used color coat warm gray as primer as it’s designed for plastic adhesion 

then hit with Duplicolor Chrome

Time will tell.  
If it doesn’t last, foil ducting tape may be in my future

IMG_2222.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2227.jpeg

• Like 2

1974 2002-  Ernie

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing the wood steering wheel, love the look!

Sourced the brass contact ring for the steering column from rogerstii.

Now to figure out wiring of the horn.

Also got a replacement wiper motor from @Brandon and now my wiper “park” and have two speeds.    Still have to dial in the linkage as they stop in the middle of the windshield but that’s easy enough to adjust (and I know I have to put the wipers in the “up” position while doing this to avoid crunching into the cowl)

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2332.jpeg

• Like 3

1974 2002-  Ernie

Cool gauges.  Volts and oil pressure are handy.  I like the clock, too.  Seems like a period correct thing to have in there.  

I had a bunch of conversations at Vintage about the disappearance of blue interiors over the years.  It’s a shame they don’t exist any more.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

1 hour ago, saaron said:

Cool gauges.  Volts and oil pressure are handy.  I like the clock, too.  Seems like a period correct thing to have in there.  

I had a bunch of conversations at Vintage about the disappearance of blue interiors over the years.  It’s a shame they don’t exist any more.  

Scott

No doubt that blue is something that should come back.   It’s a azing how many comments I get from folks on that.

1974 2002-  Ernie

7 hours ago, ErnieThe02 said:

Still have to dial in the linkage as they stop in the middle of the windshield but that’s easy enough to adjust

The easy way:  make sure the windshield wiper motor switches itself off when turned off (wiper blades up per your post).  Then disconnect the 10mm nut that holds the linkage to the crank arm on the wiper motor, and position the wiper arms/blades so they're an inch or two from the bottom of the windshield.  Wet the glass and turn the wipers on, let 'em stroke once or twice and turn 'em off.  They should park at the same location they started from.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

The easy way:  make sure the windshield wiper motor switches itself off when turned off (wiper blades up per your post).  Then disconnect the 10mm nut that holds the linkage to the crank arm on the wiper motor, and position the wiper arms/blades so they're an inch or two from the bottom of the windshield.  Wet the glass and turn the wipers on, let 'em stroke once or twice and turn 'em off.  They should park at the same location they started from.

mike

Thank you Mike

I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

1974 2002-  Ernie

5 hours ago, Mike Self said:

mike

Thank you Mike.

1.  I removed the wiper blades from the wiper arms, tilted up the arms and covered the arm tips with celluloid foam (in case they snapped down on the windshield)

2.  Cycled the wiper motor and allowed it to “park”

3.  Removed the 10mm from the motor to the linkage, re-set the linkage so they sat 2 inches above the bottom of the windshield

other findings:

1.  At first, the wipers started moving to the down an inch or two before continuing back up to wipe the windshield.   This was fixed by a small adjustment to the small linkage arm that attached the motor to the rest of the linkage.    Once I set it exactly parallel to the front bumper it was set correctly.   
2.   My passenger wiper arm sat lower on the windshield than the driver side.   Simply removed the entire arm and reinstalled so they are resting in a similar way (OCD award for that one)

IMG_1536.jpeg

1974 2002-  Ernie

Final wiper system part addressed, installed a replacement washer pump.   I’ll figure out a higher quality install job later but for now some velcro and a zip tie attached to the wiper motor wire harness tab on the fender will suffice.

I think I have the timing, rich/lean etc set up correctly based on a good solid run through the hills of Hamden MA.    Ran great.

Have a weird sound coming along at 3k RPM, in gear or out of gear.   Assume it’s the cable to the tach that needs lubricating but who knows.

Also have one squeaking rear drum so it’s time to research up adjusting those.

IMG_2339.jpeg

IMG_2341.jpeg

1974 2002-  Ernie

On 5/27/2023 at 8:01 AM, ErnieThe02 said:

Finally got around to installing the wood steering wheel, love the look!

Sourced the brass contact ring for the steering column from rogerstii.

Now to figure out wiring of the horn.

Also got a replacement wiper motor from @Brandon and now my wiper “park” and have two speeds.    Still have to dial in the linkage as they stop in the middle of the windshield but that’s easy enough to adjust (and I know I have to put the wipers in the “up” position while doing this to avoid crunching into the cowl)

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2332.jpeg

Glad to see that wiper motor worked out for you!  

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Well, Ernie is down in Rhode Island having an engine noise sorted out plus Im having it tinted with 70% light transmission ceramic tint (almost clear with a slight blue hue to it) all the way around (windshield included)

While Ernie is away, his new A/C system arrived from ICE Auto Air in San Diego.   

IMG_2393.jpeg

1974 2002-  Ernie

1 hour ago, vegashelipilot said:

I like the light tint.  Just enough to cut down on some heat but not too much to hide that beautiful interior.

Thank you!

I did the same to my old Land Cruiser (another total greenhouse of a vehicle)

looks close to stock but cuts way down on interior heat.

I always buy the entire roll of tint in case I need to replace a windshield/window OR I get an overly aggressive police officer who makes me razor blade off the windshield 😀

1974 2002-  Ernie

Made a pilgrimage out to @Brandon today to grab some needed stuff plus a whole bunch of “just in case” stuff.

Great guy and his dad has some great racing stories.

Just thankful there are people out there helping keep these old cars on the road!

IMG_2419.jpeg

• Like 1

1974 2002-  Ernie