• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ernie The 2002 - A slow restoration

ErnieThe02

Great news from the retired BMW mechanic.....

- The thermostat I supplied (original 80 degree temp spec vs the 71 degree units on the vehicle) and temp sender fixed the temp gauge issue (never rose above 1/5th and no modulation).   Thanks BluntTech!!!

- The clutch slave cylinder replacement from FCP Euro fixed up my clutch issue

- Best news of all, the clunk and noises in the rear end were due to a loose wheel hub not a failing rear diff.   Repacked with grease and tighened to spec and it's good to go.

- Got a solid overall health rating from the tech.   Prior owner had replaced the front and rear sub frames and everything is tight and true.  Hope to pick it up next week after the Nor'Easter snow goes away.

While I like doing most tech work myself, I think I'll sleep better having a BMW expert do a once over on it since I have no baseline knowledge of this platform.

Edited by ErnieThe02
  • Like 3

1974 2002-  Ernie

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - Burt

• 2 weeks later...

Good day with Ernie in the garage.

Took some time to adjust timing, rich/lean and idle.   I was getting some pinging dieseling which is now gone (95% gone so that gives me something to further refine later).

Did some pre-work to revert to the original air cleaner and summer/winter box.   Used a Dremel and tin snips to resize the air cleaner opening to accept the Weber adapter.   The way I cut it allowed for the use of the original Solex to Air Cleaner gasket/isolator.
Have all the parts needed EXCEPT for the tube/hose that goes from the exhaust manifold heat shield to the Summer/Winter box.   If anyone has an idea of a good product to use for that please let me knw.

Also ordered in some blue seatbelts and hardware (front and back) from seatbelt planet.   The driver seatbelt is frayed and the retractor is below marginal.    The driver side rear seat assembly is missing completely.   Might be a month before they arrive.

2A6DC6DC-6BD0-4DE5-83C4-A90EDFDFE7BC.jpeg

0BCA5A8C-C13F-4FF8-9C8B-0E3469538C18.jpeg

6E49B7D6-9808-4691-9CFE-85AD39212790.jpeg

BF295458-7053-48B1-88A1-888679DC383E.jpeg

• Like 2

1974 2002-  Ernie

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, billy g said:

@ErnieThe02 I was just perusing BaT and it looks like they updated the representative photos for some BMW model categories.  Guess who's car is now representing the 2002?

Thats awesome!   I have to say that the photoshoot they did when auctioning the car was done beautifully.   I had the seller send me the entire spread.

1974 2002-  Ernie

28 minutes ago, ErnieThe02 said:

Thats awesome!   I have to say that the photoshoot they did when auctioning the car was done beautifully.   I had the seller send me the entire spread.

Indeed, many of the photos from Ernie's auction are brochure worthy!

18 hours ago, Alexander said:

How can I forget. Oscar is one of my favorite. 

You guys have inspired me to name my car the "Count"

By the way, I have the same Ronal "Kleeblat" or whatever the Germans call them, wheels.

Kleeblatt = snowflake

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

More projects lining up.   
New seatbelts arrived.    I love the blue interior and wanted to get blue seatbelts.    Hard to tell the colors on seatbelt planets website and went with Detroit blue instead of Navy.   Probably more contrast than I expected but I can live with it.

201BCF3E-7090-4418-9901-BAA1E3B0ABD6.jpeg

42219A50-68B6-4644-B1E9-BBC1F33E6199.jpeg

1974 2002-  Ernie