• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ernie The 2002 - A slow restoration

ErnieThe02

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 1974 2002.   I grew up in Marin County and these were everywhere.  Having just finished my restoration on a 1988 FJ62 Land Cruiser (Burt), I needed a good stable mate…hence buying Ernie the 02.

This will be a weekly driver vs daily for cruising around.
Found this one up in the Bay Area and shipped it to Massachusetts.   It was in descent shape.

I’ll work on it in winter, driven Spring/Summer/Fall.

Work done thus far:

- New seat covers (World Upholstery), horsehair seat pads (BMW) and professional installation (Benefit Auto Services Corp Pawtucket RI)

- Brake booster refurbish and brake master (Ireland Engineering), bled brakes and clutch (yes, I fought through the b$@ch clip and brake booster bolts in only 4.5 hours)

- Bosch starter (FCP Euro)

- Headrest bezels and seat bracket bumper/cushions (2002ad)

- Kumho Solus 175/70 R13  all season tires (not a ton of choice in this size for all season daily driver use!)

Short term work on deck

- LED tail, brake, turn signal, side marker lights (SuberbrightLEDs.com)

- Replacement bumper bellows (front left is cracked)

- Replace right rear rail lamp lens (left and right both functional but don’t match color due to age)

- Add windshield sprayer tank/motor/tubing (not installed but found via ebay)

Long term work on deck

- Add A/C which I’m sourcing from ICE Air in CA

- Kooglewerks shifter and dash panels to accept A/C (already sourced)

B19A409E-72AD-44A0-96F1-300B460E53D0.jpeg

E10DA4BE-0305-48FC-8D27-858A831E00E4.jpeg

A3D2C850-FDF0-4D52-8D1D-AC5178A322C9.jpeg

C6BD3AA3-CB2B-4FC6-9483-287AD5D3091F.jpeg

0AC3659D-8D35-4819-B547-7B8E7A0FA149.jpeg

DC31C4E1-F40F-4DC9-A919-6336D68ECA89.jpeg

• Like 10

1974 2002-  Ernie

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - Burt

Thanks and excited to get it all sorted (of course the first thing I did was put a hole in the upholstery, sharp elbow, 27 degrees and 49 year old vinyl don’t mix).   Also - Apparently you need very small hands or very specialized tools to do some of these repairs.

You’ll probably see dozens of posts from me in the tech threads trying to figure out how this thing ticks.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1974 2002-  Ernie

Welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority, and to the FAQ.

Suggestion on the faded tail light:  my roundie's lenses were kinda faded after only 50 years, and rather than buying new ones, I visited my local auto parts store and bought a sheet of adhesive, transparent red film--used for patching broken tail lights to pass state inspection.  Cut to fit and stuck on the inside, it reddened the lenses considerably.  I believe you can get the same stuff in amber, for the turn signal portion, but it usually doesn't bleach out like the red sections.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Good advice

I’m going to pull both lenses whenI install the LED bulbs and see what I’m up against.  

I swore I was going to just do some minor maintenance and drive it.   Not really my nature so over the next few years I’m sure it’ll be almost completely redone.   Good garage therapy.

• Like 3

1974 2002-  Ernie

Nice looking '74!!! Welcome to 02 ownership!

Keep those bumpers and wheels. I went euro bumper and alloys (and got rid of rusty original rims) 20 years ago, and kind of (sometimes) regret it, for the original look. 

Cool that you have the original air cleaner. It's a pretty easy mod to get it back on and pull in fresh air through the snorkel:

• Like 1

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Snow finally cleared so Ernie is on the road.  
Seats installed.

Brakes much better.

I noticed a weep/leak in the brake slave cylinder so I have one of them inbound from FCP Euro.  
I’ll get the pedal height for brake and clutch adjusted once I know everything in the system is perfect.

Installed the windshield cleaner bottle/motor I bought ff of Ebay and it works.  Nice to be able to clean the windshield.

5AA14CC7-2FED-459E-8E25-F18984A5949E.jpeg

A7D01F65-05EA-4D53-BA9E-FD116181B208.jpeg

1974 2002-  Ernie

28 minutes ago, 72MetallicMalaga said:

Thing looks brand new! I'm a sucker for shiny wheels, congrats!

FJ 40/60/80 and 2002 is my dream stable. I'm halfway there...

Thanks!  Took 7 years to get the Land Cruiser looking like that.   Highly recommended as a stablemate!   

1974 2002-  Ernie