• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint removal tool

otisdog

I recently read a thread here that discussed paint removal down to the bare metal, and someone recommended a rotary sander and the appropriate grit cylinders. I've spent a stupid amount of time looking for this thread, to no avail. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Many thanks

Oh, hey- the 3M patent must have run out.  Thanks for the research, Tom!

Those look very much like the abrasive- loaded fiberglass stripping wheels from 3M, and those DO

a good job with mixed gooey paints, bondo, rust, and even undercoat.  They are pretty aggressive, though,

so they can heat, distort, and remove some metal if overspeeded and/or overpressured.

I don't know if the HorrorFright version is as good as Minnesota Mining and Materials...

but the purpose- adapted angle grinder might be an improvement over the wood drill I used to use.

It's NOT fast- I used them in corners and on rust, and then used other methods to do large areas.

Dynabrade makes a system of wire wheels they used to call DynaZip

WWW17.DYNABRADE.COM

Air and electric power tools, abrasives, industrial vacuums, automation, and more for every industry. Learn more about our tool solutions.

that's a neat power wire brush.  I found it to be far better at, as they say, cleaning out rusty seams.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Eastwood also has one   they call it the SCT        they have a number of different grits    I have had one for 3-4 years     It does a really nice job of taking it right down to bare metal and leaves it looking like brushed steel     no warping of the metal but there is quite a bit of dust.

Thanks, Rick

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Is this the tool you're thinking of?

IMG_8882.thumb.jpeg.6cddb40ba33974511698a581d0d99067.jpeg

It was discussed here.

Along with these discs in the next post.

4-1/2" x 7/8" Easy Strip and Clean Disc

My shop used the strip disk.  I have too. Mostly on hard to reach spots like rain gutter and nooks and crannies.  Not sure what they used on flats