• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear axle shaft bearing removal and can I reuse

mosman58

I used a cutoff wheel on the outer race, carefully ground the inner race thin in several spots without grinding the shaft. At that point some light blows with a hammer and a chisel brought the inner race right off. A proper puller would have been easier.

A real pain is when the outer bearing breaks and the race is stuck in the control arm. A double ball expanding fixture was required for driving the race out of the arm.

Regards

Dono

what son of marty says, once and done.  torque on the nut is 250ish, i had to get a friend that outweighs me by a few stone to get the torque wrench to click.  that split bearing removal tool will work but you'll still need to get the bearing pressed on.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Is that typical that the inner bearing is a tight fit.  I've never struggled to tap the axle out leaving the seal and bearing in the housing.  It shouldn't have a tighter fit to the shaft than a front wheel bearing.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I think the separator/puller that you linked should work- like Jim, I haven't found them to be on there TOO tight, usually.

I would recommend spending the 40 bucks for the bearings and seal

The bearing's pretty standard, as is the seal.  Any decent quality (SKF, FAG, Koyo) bearings last almost forever.

IF the inner face of the stub and the spacer aren't worn.  If they are, the bearings will fail in short order if you 

don't reset the spacer to prevent pre(over)loading them.

As to reusing the STUB, (which is what I think you meant) the wear is usually more evident on the hub with that kind

of formed spline.  The earlier cut splines wear first, but the upgraded version were much tougher.  So check your

hub.  If it fits without any wobble, it's reusable.  It doesn't have to be a press fit.

But as I said above, also check where the hub compresses against the inner race and the spacer- if there's any

wear there, I tended to replace.  Although re- spacing will work, too.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The bearing numbers can be cross referenced to sealed bearings these days, tempting thought.  It's a std deep groove ball bearing built for axial thrust.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.