• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wallothnrsch heavy duty fear springs

djorevich

If you have access to the factory (Blue binder) shop manual, check the specs pages for front and rear suspensions.  It will list all the different springs that were fitted to '02s (a surprisingly large number) with the spring rates--and paint stripe codes--for each. That should allow you to see the difference in ratings between the springs normally fitted to US spec cars and optional ones or those fitted for use in other countries.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here is c.d.'s post with that information, in case it's helpful.  I'm not sure how these ratings work though.  IIRC, it is sort of a mystery.

c.d.iesel

• c.d.iesel
  • Solex
  • 12,172 posts

what I contributed many moons a go :

stock / oem 02 suspension coil spring colour codes and free length (not mounted length);

REAR SUSP SPRINGS

Green 776-803 lbs

White 750-776 lbs

Red 725-750 lbs

wire thickness 12.3mm (.049")free length unmounted 334.6 (13.17")

Heavy duty conversion ( for trailer towing )

grey/green 769-789 lbs

grey/white 730-769 lbs

grey/red 710-730 lbs

wire thickness 13.2mm (.052") free length of unmounted 324.2mm (12.76")

FOR touring - USE ONLY RED (in emergency WHITE is permissable

always use "1 Dot " rubber top cushion

FRONT SUSP SPRINGS

green/blue 635-656 lbs

white/blue 614-636 lbs

red/blue 595-614 lbs

wire thickness 11.8mm (0.465") free length unmounted 337.2mm (13.28")

Heavy duty conversion (only if rear is also converted)

green/grey/green 606/626 lbs

white/grey/white 584-606 lbs

red/grey/red 564-584 lbs

wire thickness 12mm (0.47") free length unmounted 345mm (13.58")

..........SO, AS YOU CAN SEE , WHEN INSPECTING UNKNOWN SPRINGS, THE FREE LENGTH CAN BE CLOSE, BUT IT'S THE WIRE THICKNESS THAT YOU NEED TO MEASURE CAREFULLY

THIS REF. FROM BMW REPAIR MANUAL (PRINTED) VOL.2

and. . . ..

rear coil spring upper rubber 'damper ring' comes in 3 heights:

28 mm height = 1 dot and green color code

33 mm height = 2 dot and white color code

37 mm height = 3 dot and red color code

Note: always fit top spring damper with 1 dot for Touring models (of course for orig springs)

check availability with dealer, one was NLA reciently.

the bottom rear coil spring rubber damper ring comes only in one thickness = 24mm

ref. 33-0/8 specifations BMW Repair Manual Vol. 2

AND........

SPRING TIME TECHNICAL DATA:

Message Title: Re: front or back?

10 1/4 " = Front

12 " = Rear

these are my 'old' Suspension Technique (dark GOLD painted) springs

measured "free" un-mounted length

and from factory manual:

13.28" = Front std

13.58" = Front Heavy Duty

13.17" Rear std.

14.25" Rear for Baur Convertible

...so according to this info, you could have shorter or longer springs in the rear than front ! What matters is wire diameter and lb. rating / spring load rating. 

• Thanks 1

fear springs

If you stiffen the rear significantly without stiffening the fronts, yes, those very much CAN be fear springs.

Or even pucker springs.

t

trailing throttle oversteer FTW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I ran the HD springs for a few years, naively thinking they would handle better (they don't)...They are not extremely harsh , I had adjustable shocks so it was ok. Perhaps ok with gas, but not ok with cheap oil shocks. If you want to get extra load, ok, but as Toby said front and rear. You won't bottom out (as often).

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

My wife loves the car. She often wants to take rides with four people, which taxes the rear end. And I have a little feat end squat. I thought fresh springs might help when I replace the shocks with Bilstein HD. I was wondering what the ride quality would be like. 

I found it ok, had Sachs sport shocks up front and koni adjustable on the rear but with rubber bushings all around. I found it fine, though they are HD, they are not markedly stiffer...I still managed to bottom out going off a trampoline on a rally stage. 

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight