• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koito H4 headlight feedback

Gordon

Good chance polarity is flipped as Toby mentioned. I would test the light off the car (battery and jumper wires) and go from there. Good luck! I keep toying with getting retrobrights for the 2002, but my Halogens are pretty darn good on their own.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Update: Problem Resolved!!

But it wasn't the drivers side, it was the passenger side plug that had the brown and yellow backwards.  Somehow the old halogen lights worked with the incorrect wiring, but now the LEDs work!  Need to let it get a little darker, then I'll try to aim them as much as I can.  Thanks all!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Does this show new relays swapped into the existing wiring or all new wiring?

Pablo,

Yes, my 6-fuse sketch shows the addition of relays for both high and low beam headlights.

The stock wiring does not have relays, and ALL power to the headlights (high and low) flows through the ignition switch and headlight switch without ANY fuse protection! I don't know what those crafty Germans were thinking when they designed the electricals in the early cars. They did improve...somewhat...with the square-lights.

Trying to read the factory wiring schematic is a challenge so I will try to simplify the headlight circuit with a sketch of the original design. I did a brief attempt but was dumbfounded as I uncovered so many "problem" areas.

Definitely fix and upgrade your car before adding more/better lights and/or other accessories. 

I know LEDs draw much less power than the H4 lights, but why stress expensive 50-year-old ignition and light switches.

John

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, John76 said:

Pablo,

Yes, my 6-fuse sketch shows the addition of relays for both high and low beam headlights.

The stock wiring does not have relays, and ALL power to the headlights (high and low) flows through the ignition switch and headlight switch without ANY fuse protection! I don't know what those crafty Germans were thinking when they designed the electricals in the early cars. They did improve...somewhat...with the square-lights.

Trying to read the factory wiring schematic is a challenge so I will try to simplify the headlight circuit with a sketch of the original design. I did a brief attempt but was dumbfounded as I uncovered so many "problem" areas.

Definitely fix and upgrade your car before adding more/better lights and/or other accessories. 

I know LEDs draw much less power than the H4 lights, but why stress expensive 50-year-old ignition and light switches.

John

I like this idea, but what's the difference a fuse and relay in this case?  and what have people done so there isn't a line of like 6 relays going across the fender wall?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:51 PM, QtheGenius said:

Update: Problem Resolved!!

But it wasn't the drivers side, it was the passenger side plug that had the brown and yellow backwards.  Somehow the old halogen lights worked with the incorrect wiring, but now the LEDs work!  Need to let it get a little darker, then I'll try to aim them as much as I can.  Thanks all!

So how do you like the Retrobrights? I definitely want to go the LED route, just trying to decide what to get.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2023 at 9:05 AM, takeyourmarx said:

So how do you like the Retrobrights? I definitely want to go the LED route, just trying to decide what to get.

Ha, well, I have yet to drive at night.  I might take it out Saturday on date night, so i'll know then.

Appreciate the response. I ended up getting them already hah. I really like them and feel much safer being able to see  much better, especially since I'm in LA and there are a lot of pedestrians where I live. Just need to dial in the aim a little better still.

• 4 months later...

My new to me 69 02 came with some strange blue tinted headlights. It came to me that the Toyota Koito kit that I bought for my FJ60 Land Cruiser would probably fit. Quality kit. If anyone is interested, I bought them here…

ABSOLUTE-WITS-END.COM

OEM Round Incandescent Headlight Conversion to H4 Kit (RHC-2KIT)

Worth a try for $21. 

IMG_2024-01-03-213301.jpeg

IMG_2024-01-03-213323.jpeg

IMG_2024-01-03-213403.jpeg

IMG_2024-01-03-213342.jpeg

Edited by motoromo
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 12:13 AM, QtheGenius said:

I like this idea, but what's the difference a fuse and relay in this case?  and what have people done so there isn't a line of like 6 relays going across the fender wall?

Highly recommend adding relays to your existing car for the headlights.  This allows a shorter path of battery power to the lights and doesn’t tax the old harness and light switch.  Check out Susquehanna Motorsports H4 wiring harness retrofit. It includes a complete harness with (2) relays, a ground wire, fused power wire and a plug which simply attaches to one of the existing headlight sockets for activation.  They can make the harness for mounting the relays on the left or right side of the car.  I have both versions in my cars.  

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

koito makes prob the best lights in the world far superior to almost everything else

• Like 1

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

On 12/27/2022 at 6:47 PM, Dudeland said:

The description is below. $89, almost too bright. 

Probably not what poor , unsuspecting, blinded oncoming drivers( victims) are saying.

Blast…..

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 12/27/2022 at 6:14 PM, ray_ said:

Citation needed.

And probably deserved

Blast blast

There oughta be a law…oh wait.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Did a 2 hr return trip from Portland last night, dark and wet.

Much of the trip was on Hwy 99, your basic 2 lane highway…

On 12/27/2022 at 5:58 PM, Dudeland said:

but from a practical perspective, a killer set of LED bulbs is awesome. 

For you maybe……

Third and final blast

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

So the Hella H4 kit I had on order for 6 weeks just cancelled, Drat.

Going to try again and thinking Koitos now maybe, or do I stay loyal to the Hellas?

Or maybe grab whichever I can get ahold of?

Hellas are $4.00 more

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris