• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OP Body-Pickup Fitment Issue UPDATE

2002#3
Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

M10 Rebuild

When I fit the old 2002 OP pickup to the new E21 OP body, the two body alignment dowels (8mm) in the body will not fit into the two corresponding bosses/bolt holess (7mm) in the pickup.  All else in that marriage appears copacetic.  See photos below.

1.  You experienced this issue?

2.  OK to ream out the bosses/bolt holes a little bit?

Thanks.

Larry

IMG_5338.thumb.jpeg.a3d5afbc52739d2221e4fe299f9a18e8.jpeg

IMG_5339.thumb.jpeg.2533ee7643018e720f046fd06995286c.jpeg

Edited by 2002#3
edited title

Never had that problem. Is it just one or both of em that doesn’t wanna play? If everything else matches up correctly exept those dowels then ream away. Pretty sure with little loctite it’ll stay put w/o dowels.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

02 pumps never had alignment dowels, just confirmed my memory by looking at one.

Secondly I don't follow where and what good any locktite on a flat flange connection would do.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yes, you are correct.  They aren't alignment dowels per se, but rather proud rims which project from around the bolt hole, and have to fit into and around the opposing bolt hole.  Dunno their purpose - maybe to make sure the two halves align and the make the shaft and gear as happy as possible.

Edited by 2002#3

2 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

They aren't alignment dowels per se, but rather proud rims which project from around the bolt hole, and have to fit into and around the opposing bolt hole. 

None whatsoever on all the pumps I've looked at.  Smooth, flt surfaces on both sides of the joint.  Shaft sets the alignment in the close fit hole in the pickup head.  Tighten the cap screws and that's it.

The joint has to be an air tight joint, or the pump will suck air.  Air in oil makes for poor lubrication

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• Solution

yeah, that's odd.  So do what you need to do to get a pretty tight mechanical seal, and life's good.

There's nothing to align, really, other than the inlet port, and that's not a precision fit.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That may be something new...In 2004 when I rebuilt my 73's engine, I scored a new E21 oil pump (for $85 on closeout!), and swapped the pickup from a late '69/early '70 2002 OEM oil pump.  No locating dowels, and the two halves mated up like they were made to...

Make sure the surface of the pickup is nice and flat (a little emery cloth taped to a pane of glass will give you a nice flat surface to make sure) and either grind down the locating ridges enlarge the mating holes so the things will fit.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

UPDATE

The photos below help to clarify the "dowels" of my new 320i oil pump body.  They were more like sleeves (their new name here) of some sort and they came out easily.   

Photos

1.  the sleeves in place as received

2.  the sleeves removed and freed from bondage hell (note the shelf on the inside of the bolt hole and on which the sleeves rested

3.  body and pickup now together and getting to know each other on their honeymoon.

I never figured out the deal with or the purpose of the sleeves so am moving on without them.

Larry

image.thumb.jpeg.dc2724f52bf387336969e40d91768043.jpeg

IMG_5341.thumb.jpeg.60e129e1a0b2519e1eda62ddd46431c1.jpeg

IMG_5342.thumb.jpeg.c02f90fab0c8dd544698591f9db61620.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2002#3 changed the title to OP Body-Pickup Fitment Issue UPDATE

Yeah- those certainly can be called alignment dowels- or sleeves- 

and that's a new 'feature'!

I've pulled heads off and found them missing there, with no real ill effects,

so I think leaving them off the oil pump's just fine!

I wonder what prompted them to be added to the pump...  later engines

like the M54, where the pump fits exactly into the sump, do have them.

But the 2002 has mm's of clearance, so a tenth or 2 just doesn't matter.

t

precision for precision's sake.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL