• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof drain missing!

Daily02
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

• Solution

It's a PITA...are you sure the whole thing is missing?  I'd make darn sure that it's all gone before delving into a replacement.  

The flexible plastic drain tube fits over a metal nipple that's welded/soldered into the drain channel at the front corner on each side of the sunroof opening.  To install another tube, you'll have to pull the headliner back so you can see that upper end, then thread the replacement hose down to the opening in the inner fender where it exits. 

I've never had to replace one, and don't know anyone who has, unless it was part of a roof transplant.  I think it might be easier to thread the hose in from the bottom, then up the A pillar rather than the reverse.  Or possibly use a smaller diameter hose whose OD is slightly smaller than the ID of the upper nipple.  Then you wouldn't have to unfasten the headliner to access the nipple's back side.  

Mike

PS.  Truth be told, if the sunroof seal is newish and the sunroof is properly adjusted, you shouldn't even have any leakage into the drain channel and thus the hose would be unnecessary.  But that's in theory.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have replaced the drain tube by pushing a stiff wire (welding rod) up to the roof and then pulling the plastic tube down... if you try to push the plastic 'bunches up' and jams, if you pull it then it shrinks in diameter to get past obstacles....no fun but not too stressful.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

8 hours ago, dlacey said:

I have replaced the drain tube by pushing a stiff wire (welding rod) up to the roof and then pulling the plastic tube down... if you try to push the plastic 'bunches up' and jams, if you pull it then it shrinks in diameter to get past obstacles....no fun but not too stressful.

Great sugguestion: ) I knew when asking this wasn't going to be an easy one. The good news is the one on the other side drains very well. The missing side drains, and comes out at the rocker panel seam below the door. 

Are there rear drains as well? 

Regards

Dono

There are rear drains as well.  They come down the C pillar, then forward of the wheel well into the space behind the rear interior side panels.  Those rear drains empty into the rocker panels and should be relocated to drain into the wheel arch to avoid any further rust issues.

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Everybody has been so, so helpful in the past when I have asked questions, I thought I would chime in.

Member jgerock posted photos of the drain locations, tubing, clamps and the plastic fittings on Sep 8. All of them very helpful and self explanatory. He also referenced Keith Kreeger’s very cool website "my2002tii.com". I had stumbled on it years ago and it is really great reading on the restoration of a 2002 from finding a car to complete restoration. It has good photos of the drain locations and the tubing in the index(top left of webpage) under Aug 2004. Running the tubes is covered in July 2004. 

Good Luck!

Edited by bublinki
forgot last line
  • Like 1

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

10 hours ago, bublinki said:

Everybody has been so, so helpful in the past when I have asked questions, I thought I would chime in.

Member jgerock posted photos of the drain locations, tubing, clamps and the plastic fittings on Sep 8. All of them very helpful and self explanatory. He also referenced Keith Kreeger’s very cool website "my2002tii.com". I had stumbled on it years ago and it is really great reading on the restoration of a 2002 from finding a car to complete restoration. It has good photos of the drain locations and the tubing in the index(top left of webpage) under Aug 2004. Running the tubes is covered in July 2004. 

Good Luck!

Thank you!  My goals for posting here is to help others and reference where I got the idea(s) from.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

An update. The problem with the left front drain tube has been found. Evidently the drain tube was cut when the radio antenna was installed. The tube almost makes it to the bottom of the windshield. The trouble is water drains down and catches the antenna cable which brings some of the water in the car. Fed wire through tube and out the proper exit. Also peeled back the headliner in preparation to replace it. Access is limited and the wire is there for pulling it through. I just need the tubing. Also the rear drains just needed simple cleaning, and drain well.

Thanks to all that helped on this!

Regards

Dono

• Like 1