• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanic near Johnstown, PA (Pittsburgh)

djorevich

I have what sounds like a marble floating around my engine, comes goes. Probably looking at an engine rebuild for my 76. Does anyone know if a reputable mechanic I can use? I don't have enough time to go into anything this serious right now. 

Edited by djorevich
Spelling

17 hours ago, djorevich said:

Goes completely silent, then knocks like there's a marble in the cylinder. 

When does this happen?  If it is at idle, it may (just) be the oil pump chain (or timing chain) slapping against something it shouldn't hit.  My car came with that feature when I bought it eleven years ago.  It comes and goes.  It doesn't scare me.  I don't even mind it anymore.

When I first bought the car I showed it to a friend and he asked what the knocking sound was.  I didn't hear a knocking, only a ticking sound.  I could see it described as a marble bouncing around.  I only hear it at idle when the engine is warm and even then, it is only once in a while.  It's not constant.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Other items worth considering:

Ignition timing at idle can have a major effect on valvetrain noise

Make sure there are no exhaust leaks at or near the exhaust manifold

If the noise is more pronounced when applying throttle, it could be rod bearings.

Unless abused (overheated, run out of oil, poor maintenance history, etc) these engines are TOUGH as nails. They can soldier on for thousands of miles, burning oil for years, without any severe damage. 

I've encountered a few "fairly new / low mileage" timing chains that got loose and/or stretched within the last 24 months....so it could be something like that.

Could also be alternator, loose bracketry, a rattling headlight / headlight grill.... I've heard many noises that sounded like they were from the engine, but turned out to be rattling things nearby. 

I'm located about 40 miles north of Pittsburgh and would be happy to take a look / listen to it, if you can transport it up I-79. 

Classic BMWs (exclusively) are all I work on... and they have been my singular focus for over 30 years. 

All the best to you!

Paul Wegweiser

412 585 2067 shop

Shop Sept.jpg

• Like 7

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

If the sound is rhythmic-say noticeably on-time with your rpm's. It could be either a valve is out of adjustment and/or piston slap. The later should go away or become less noticeable once the engine is up to temp. The valve "tick" should become more noticeable once warm.  

but what do I know 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

It sounded pretty severe. Unfortunately I haven't had time to dig in. Thanks for the response Paul!  I'm off next week. I'll pull the plugs and take a good look around.  If I'm stumped, I'll get it up to you too see if you can work some magic. Merry Christmas. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, djorevich said:

If I'm stumped, I'll get it up to you too see if you can work some magic.

He does work magic... he is honest, does outstanding work, has impeccable attention to detail, all while maintaining outstanding communication with you on what he is doing. 

I shipped my car from MD to PA and he made it run beautifully - drove it home a year ago - still purrs like a kitten.     

Edited by Dionk
  • Like 3

On one occasion my car swallowed a brass nozzle from the single barrel Solex. Those things get loose as they are just punched in. The end result was very loud metallic pinging from the head until the valves finally crushed it to pieces and threw it out the exhaust in a matter of scary minutes.  And, that was that. When I removed the head a couple of years later the combustion chamber was all pinged up. If that nozzle wasn't brass and made of something harder, I would have been in trouble.

Edited by Alexei

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to look at the car this weekend. Took a good look and couldn't find anything. Turned over the engine with the plugs out to try to expel anything in there. Put the plugs in, started the engine and it ran like a dream..... for about two minutes. Then I heard what sounds like a sticky valve. I'll get in touch with Paul this week. I may need a surgeon. Thanks everyone, thanks Paul. 

Edited by djorevich
  • Like 1